Letters to the Editor

Are High-Quality Hot Dogs an At-Risk Commodity in Morningside?

To the Editor:

I am writing in reference to yesterday's Spectator article, "CU Shows New 110th Street Plan," in which Emily Lloyd was quoted extensively. While I have no objection to the proposed faculty apartment building and private school, I have one concern about the project.

Mike's Papaya is one of my favorite eating establishments in the neighborhood--its hot dogs are top-notch. I also appreciate its low prices, its unpretentious atmosphere, its 24-hour service, and its true diversity of customers. Since Morningside Heights has undergone considerable gentrification in recent years, there are now few nearby eateries like Mike's Papaya.

Today's Spectator article did not indicate whether Mike's Papaya will be invited to return to the new faculty apartment building, or whether a suitable replacement site has been found. I would be most interested in learning more about Columbia's discussions with Mike's Papaya. If you would be so kind as to write be about the subject, I would be most grateful.

Alex Cohen, CC'01,

Sept. 21, 2000

CU Students Should Understand that Israel Must Remain Defensive

To the Editor:

It seems that many CU students are unaware of the history of the State of Israel. The Jews, as a nation, first settled, in the land under the auspices of Joshua in Biblical times. Since then, there has never been a point in history where there weren't Jews living in the land. In 1947, the British, among others in the international community, drew up a partition plan for the British-controlled land in the Middle East. It called for Palestine to be divided into two parts. One would be called Trans-Jordan, and contained approximately 70 percent of the area of Palestine. The remaining 30 percent was to become Israel. The Zionist committees of the time agreed to these conditions. The Arabs rejected the plan, opposed to giving any land to the Jews. The Palestinian Liberation Organization charter, until very recently, called for the total annihilation of any Jewish presence in the Land of Israel.

The U.N. approved the plan and in May 1948 David Ben-Gurion declared the independence of the State of Israel. That day the Arab nations surrounding Israel declared war. In this defensive battle, the newly re-established State of Israel fought back and expanded their borders. The history in 1967 is nearly identical, except then Israel managed to win the war and expand its borders in only six days. The "occupied territories," which today are so bitterly debated, were captured at that time, in response to the Arab nations attack on Israel. Israel created a security zone in southern Lebanon in 1982. Until then, Ketusha missiles had rained down upon Israeli towns on the border.

I have yet to find an Israeli who does not want peace with their neighbors. The only debate is concerning the best way to achieve that peace. It is an unfortunate reality that men and women my age are drafted into war forced upon Israel by their "innocent" neighbors.

Throwing stones is not a light-hearted matter. It is an act of violence. What if I took a rock and threw it towards the dean's office? I'm guessing that the excuse, "But I was so excited about being a Barnard student" wouldn't be accepted. I have been a recipient of such festive moments. In a bus in Israel, stones were thrown at us. The bus driver was sent to the hospital to get glass removed from his eyes. But I'm sure it was just because someone was overwhelmed with love for their land

Jessy Warner-Cohen, BC '04,

Sept. 21, 2000


Plain text

  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Your username will not be displayed if checked
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.