Arts & Entertainment

October 25, 2016, 12:21 AM

The stage of the Glicker-Milstein Theater is overlaid with a glowing green microchip design. As chiptune music plays overhead, the lights lower on a teenage boy alone in his bedroom, his face illuminated only by the light of a laptop screen.

“username” is a play that couldn’t have existed 10

Top Stories

+
Oct 24, 2016, 10:18 PM

“Here lies the wasteland, peopled with the lonely and fragmented.” Does this sound familiar? For those who have read T.S. Eliot’s seminal poem, the answer may be yes.

Oct 19, 2016, 1:26 AM

A crack of thunder and an Orwellian loudspeaker voice signals the lights to dim. In the darkened theater, rows of onlookers hush. A string of tiny, backlit screens illuminate each row as audience members raise DSLRs and iPhones.

Oct 19, 2016, 11:57 PM

Graffiti stamps mark the the concrete courtyard ground of the Westbeth Center for the Arts on Bank Street in the West Village, each reading in bold capital letters, “ONE.”  The trail concludes at a discrete, garage-like door in a dark corner of the cement quad, where only a small publicity poste

Oct 19, 2016, 11:33 PM

This article is a part of the series Studio Talks, where MFA students are interviewed about their creative process while studying at Columbia.

Weekend

+
Dec 3, 2015, 4:13 AM

This Weekend focuses on the power of wordplay.

Nov 19, 2015, 5:47 AM

This weekend looks at brand-building in the age of social media.

Nov 12, 2015, 6:56 AM

This Weekend looks at the link between art and political change.

Art

+
Oct 19, 2016, 11:33 PM

Oct 19, 2016, 11:57 PM

Oct 18, 2016, 12:38 AM

Wood Auditorium opened its doors on Friday, Oct.

Oct 13, 2016, 8:34 AM

This article is a part of the series Studio Talks, where MFA students will be interviewed about their creative process while studying at Columbia.

Dance

+
Oct 19, 2016, 1:02 AM

Each week, over 1,200 students move through the four studios of the Barnard College Department of Dance, participating in at least one of the more than 50 courses offered this semester. Experience isn’t required for the introductory levels, and students can enjoy live musical accompaniment.

Sep 26, 2016, 10:08 PM

A dancer’s chiffon skirt grazed my ankle. I turned and we locked eyes, my uneasy gaze meeting her bold stare; a second passed. She crumpled to the floor, eyes penetrating the ceiling, and gasped for air. I held my breath too.

Dec 14, 2015, 5:07 PM

Barnard/Columbia dance students perform in new choreographic works at New York Live Arts.

Dec 14, 2015, 4:56 PM

Poets and installation artists present contrasting works that play with form and experiment with media in order to describe how the Internet affects us.

Film & Television

+
Oct 12, 2016, 1:02 AM

“Rolling! Speed! Action!” What precedes is the changing of a film lens. The adjustment of a boom mic. The placement of a prop. The set-up is meticulous, the hundreds of shot angles tedious, the hours tiresome, but the end product—worth it.

Oct 3, 2016, 10:27 PM

I weaved through the throngs of dripping raincoats, umbrella spokes, and rain boots to secure my spot near the Miller Theatre lobby staircase.

Dec 10, 2015, 6:31 AM

Academy Award-nominated filmmaker Amy Berg presents an authentic portrayal of the raw, wild nature of the trailblazing 1960s rocker.

Dec 10, 2015, 12:48 AM

Although “45 Years” is a bit slow-paced, the British drama’s exceptional acting and directing make the film believable and gripping.

Food & Drink

+
Dec 10, 2015, 7:02 AM

Every winter, the Union Square Holiday Market hosts more than 100 vendors at its holiday-themed winter village.

Dec 10, 2015, 6:34 AM

A Tel Aviv-based bakery will soon be opening on the Upper West Side.

Dec 10, 2015, 6:55 AM

This installment of In the Bubble has some seasonal favorites.

Dec 3, 2015, 4:06 AM

Spice up your weekend at home by enjoying boozy hot chocolate while watching an Iranian vampire spaghetti Western on Netflix.

Music

+
Sep 18, 2016, 11:14 PM

If you’re a student at Columbia, it’s almost guaranteed you’ve walked past St. Paul’s Chapel at least a few times. The building is a campus landmark, distinct for its stained glass and the occasional wedding clogging up College Walk.

Dec 11, 2015, 4:25 AM

While the majority of Columbia’s students are preparing for their final exams, members of the Columbia University Bach Society are also gearing up for their semester-ending “Handel: In Remembrance” concert, which marks the fifteenth anniversary of the group’s inception.

Dec 11, 2015, 4:19 AM

Rising rapper Cakes Da Killa has gained critical acclaim and fan adoration over the past few years, especially with his new EP “#IMF.” Before performing at WBAR’s Home on the Rave, he took time to speak to Spectator about his career and experiences.

Dec 10, 2015, 12:07 AM

Kurt Vile and Steven Gunn transform old tunes with their sound on “Parallelogram.”

Style

+
Oct 22, 2015, 5:03 AM

Fashion and Virtue: Textile Patterns and the Print Revolution, 1520-1620,” the newest exhibit at the Met, combines interdisciplinary art media to juxtapose recently rediscovered Renaissance-era textile pattern books against the broader context of fashion history.

Oct 15, 2015, 3:50 AM

At Onassis Festival: Narcissus Now, a new tradition to celebrate arts and ideas through a variety of events including discussions, visual art, and live music, all centering around the theme of narcissism, panelists discuss the theme in a moderated panel.

Sep 29, 2015, 2:26 AM

Hanako Maeda, CC ’10, is set to premiere an “unexpected” costume design.

Feb 18, 2015, 3:14 AM
3

Elaborate light shows, stage design, and a diverse range of performers come to Roone Arledge Auditorium this Saturday with the 2015 Lunar Gala fashion show.

Theater

+
Oct 25, 2016, 12:21 AM

Oct 24, 2016, 10:18 PM

Oct 17, 2016, 12:39 AM

Two girls kneel in the middle of the round stage as the audience files in around them and settles down into their seats. They’re Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, already in character, flipping a coin between them.

Oct 14, 2016, 12:04 AM

Václav Havel: playwright, political dissident, and prisoner. Havel was known for his musings on truth and the unbreakable spirit of the individual. He championed the idea that individuals have the responsibility to take action against systems of political oppression and monopolies of power.