Arts and Entertainment | Food and Drink

Welcome to the neighborhood: The new restaurants in Morningside Heights

With all sorts of new additions to the scene and discounts for CUID holders, Morningside Heights is ready to welcome Columbia students back for fall.

New and Recent Restaurants

1. Friedman’s: This farm-to-table restaurant opened on July 8 in Morningside Heights at 1187 Amsterdam Ave. It offers homestyle comfort food with gluten-free options in a rustic atmosphere.

On Seamless? Yes

2. West End Hall: This beer hall opened over the summer at 2756 Broadway. It focuses on craft brews, with 20 varieties on draft and 46 in cans and bottles.  It boasts an outdoor seating area for the last few days of nice weather.

On Seamless? No

3. Safari Restaurant: This eatery, highly rated on Yelp, brings Somalian food to the existing culinary diversity of Harlem. It is located at 219 W. 116th St.

On Seamless? No

4. Babbalucci: This Italian restaurant, known for its fried artichokes, opened over the summer at 331 Lenox Ave. Most dishes—including short rib lasagna and spaghetti with artichokes—are under $20.

On Seamless? No

5. Macchina: This Italian eatery opened at the end of July at 2758 Broadway. It offers wood-fired pizza, pasta, and entrées, as well as Italian beer, wine, and cocktails. Its pizzas are under $20, and its cocktails and glasses of wine are under $15.

On Seamless? No

6. Naruto Ramen: Located at 2634 Broadway, this Japanese restaurant offers traditional ramen noodles and soups. Most dishes are under $10.

On Seamless? No

7. Serafina Upper West: This Italian restaurant, which has outposts in the Upper East Side, the Meatpacking District, and the Hamptons, serves thin-crust pizza and homemade pasta at 2178 Broadway. It’s on the pricier side with pasta dishes ranging from $12 to $21. We’re not counting a $29 spaghetti dish with caviar.

On Seamless? No

Opening soon:

1. sweetgreen: This takeout salad joint—with offers like kale caesar and watermelon feta— will open at an undisclosed date at 2937 Broadway, the home of the old Uni Cafe.

2. Mezzogiorno: This Italian restaurant, which has a well-visited location in SoHo, specializes in Florentine cuisine for brunch, lunch, and dinner. It’s a bit pricey for college student fare, with most dishes (at least according to its SoHo menu) over $15. It is slated to open soon and is located at 2791 Broadway.

3. Nut Box: This establishment sells nuts, dried fruits, and other similar items. It will open soon at 2724 Broadway.

4. Amity Hall: This craft beer and sports bar is expanding out of its Greenwich Village location to cater to the Columbia crowd with a new location at 982 Amsterdam Ave. The bar will also offer a full kitchen of Irish and American entrées.

5. A New Saigon: This restaurant at 2596 Broadway offers affordable Vietnamese fare.

Restaurant Closings

1. Ollie’s: This beloved Asian fusion restaurant, a Columbia staple, closed for good following last year’s fire.

2. Village Pourhouse: This sports bar, known for its extensive beer selection, shut its doors. It will be replaced by Amity Hall.

3. Hot & Crusty: This 24-hour bakery and deli chain, formerly at 2720 Broadway, closed and is soon to be replaced by the Nut Box.

4. Five Lamps Tavern: This eatery, which offered rustic brick walls and an outdoor beer garden, closed recently. It will be replaced by West End Hall.

5. Subway: The 109th street and Broadway outpost of this popular sandwich chain has closed.

6. Amsterdam Restaurant and Tapas Lounge: This tapas spot on Amsterdam permanently closed over the summer.

Columbia University Student Deals

Eat@CU, a Spectator-owned product, compiles a list of deals around the neighborhood. Some highlights:

1. Community Food & Juice: A CUID will get you 10 percent off weekend brunch from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. at this popular American restaurant at 2893 Broadway.

2. Hummus Place: This restaurant at 305 Amsterdam Ave. serves Israeli vegetarian fare and offers Columbia students 10 percent off.

3. The Heights: $5 margaritas from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Need we say more?

4. Aangan: At 2701 Broadway, this traditional Indian restaurant offers Columbia students 10 percent off in-house dining.

5. Amigos: $19.95 unlimited tacos and sangria on Mondays if you’re looking to celebrate the start of the school week.

anne-marie.bompart@columbiaspectator.com | @annem_bompart

Correction: An earlier version of this story gave the address of the Upper West Side sweetgreen instead of the new location in Morningside Heights. Spectator regrets the error.