Arts and Entertainment | Miscellaneous

In the Bubble: Gin cocktails, brownies, and "Wet Hot American Summer"

Don’t feel like leaving the comfort of your bed or walking any farther than Ferris this weekend? Well, we’ve got you covered—here are some suggestions to spice up your Saturday and Sunday that won’t break your wallet.

Drink recipe roundup:

If you’re sick of throwing back Bud Light but the $12 cocktails at Mel’s are out of your price range, try one of these two easy gin-based cocktails. Since they call for nearly identical ingredients, feel free to try both and decide which one is more to your taste.

Try a Cockney Champagne (get the recipe is from Food 52), which combines gin, champagne, lemon juice, and simple syrup, or a Southside (get the recipe from Food 52), which combines gin, lime juice, simple syrup, and mint leaves.

Dorm recipe of the week:

This microwavable mug brownie recently became popular as a low-effort, single-serving alternative to making an entire cake. But we promise the homemade taste will beat any supermarket pastry. For the chocolate chip cookie fans in the room, omit the cocoa powder.

Adapted from Melissa of No. 2 Pencil

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter or oil

3 tablespoons sugar

¼ teaspoon vanilla extract

1 egg yolk

4 tablespoons flour

1 tablespoon cocoa powder

2 teaspoons chocolate chips

¼ teaspoon cinnamon

Pinch of salt

Directions:

1. Melt butter in microwave-safe mug in 30-second intervals until liquid.

2. Add sugar, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon to butter and stir.

3. Add egg yolk, then flour and cocoa powder. Stir until well-combined.

4. Cook for 45 seconds in microwave until solid in the middle.

Netflix pick of the week:

Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp”

This Netflix original series is a prequel to Michael Wain’s cult classic film “Wet Hot American Summer.” Starring much of the original cast, including Paul Rudd and Bradley Cooper, this miniseries is worth watching for the cast’s chemistry alone. Notable guest stars include John Slattery, Michael Cera, and Kristen Wiig. With a script co-written and directed by Wain, fans of the movie can rest assured that the ridiculous antics of the camp counselors will have all the lovability and zing of the original. Since the series only has eight half-hour episodes, “First Day of Camp” is the perfect way to spend a lazy Sunday unwinding in bed with some tea, blankets, and a microwaveable mug brownie.

arts@columbiaspectator.com | @ColumbiaSpec