Arts and Entertainment | Miscellaneous

In the Bubble: Salty Dogs, mac & cheese, and Mads Mikkelsen

Don’t feel like walking any farther than Ferris this weekend? Well, we’ve got you covered—here are some suggestions to spice up your Saturday and Sunday that won’t break your wallet.

Drink recipe roundup:

These simple vodka-based cocktails use raspberry, grapefruit, and lime for a fresh taste reminiscent of the lazy summer nights we’re all starting to miss now that midterms are setting in.

Raspberry Mule

From Difford's Guide
Ingredients:
1 handful of raspberries
2 shots vodka
1 shot lime juice
½ shot simple syrup*
Ginger beer or ginger ale
*Can substitute honey or agave

Muddle raspberries in a shaker with the back of a spoon. Add next three ingredients and shake with ice. Strain and pour into a tall glass, topping off with ginger beer. Enjoy!

Salty Dog

Adapted from Bon Appétit

Ingredients:
2 shots vodka
⅔ cup grapefruit juice
Coarse sea salt

Wet the rim of a glass and dip into salt. Combine vodka and grapefruit juice and pour over ice. Enjoy!

Dorm recipe:

Microwave Mac & Cheese
Adapted from The Kitchn
½ cup pasta
½ cup water
¼ milk
1 pinch of salt
½ teaspoon mustard (Dijon is best)
½ cup shredded cheddar (or any other cheese of your choice)

¼ frozen peas, defrosted

Optional: bacon or other pre-cooked meat

Directions:

1. Combine pasta, water, and salt in a deep, microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 2-minute intervals until pasta is cooked, pausing between intervals to stir each time. The pasta should be done after 4-8 minutes, depending on the microwave. Add more water as necessary if pasta absorbs water before cooking.

2. Use oven mitts to remove pasta from microwave. Stir the milk, cheese, mustard, and peas into the pasta and add any desired diced add-ins.

3. Eat immediately and enjoy.

Netflix pick of the week:

“After the Wedding” (2008)

This Danish drama stars Mads Mikkelsen of “Hannibal” fame as Jacob Pedersen, the manager of an orphanage in India. After applying for a grant to help keep the orphanage out of bankruptcy, Pedersen receives word from the backer, Jørgen, that in order to receive the money he must personally pick it up in Denmark. Pedersen reluctantly travels there and gets invited to Jørgen’s daughter’s wedding along the way. At the wedding, he recognizes Jørgen’s wife, Helene, as his own former love. But this is only one of the smaller revelations that Jacob has during his brief stay in Denmark. Beautifully shot, with a dark color palette, “After the Wedding” successfully pulls viewers into the plot through its flawed yet believable characters. It’s not a lighthearted film, but the immersive plot makes it worth watching while avoiding responsibilities.

Charity posted on

Feel free to visit my blog post; st patricks day t shirt

+1
0
-1