Arts and Entertainment | Miscellaneous

In the Bubble: Sangria, chilaquiles, and ‘Iron Chef America’

Don’t feel like leaving the comfort of your bed or walking any farther than Ferris this weekend? Here are some suggestions to spice up your Saturday and Sunday that won’t break your wallet.

Drink Recipe Roundup:

These red wine-based cocktails evoke a richness that feels distinctly autumnal, while some citrus notes add lightness. With their minimal prep time and short ingredient lists, it’s easy to make a couple to complement a dinner with friends or suitemates.

Red Hot Summer

From Drinksfeed

Ingredients:
¾ cup red wine
¼ cup lemonade
Ice
Lemon wedge (for garnish)

1. Combine wine and lemonade in a glass and stir.

2. Add ice and garnish with a lemon segment.

Single-Serving Sangria

From Dessertsfortwo

Ingredients:
8 fresh raspberries, plus extra for garnish
2 tablespoons orange liqueur
4 ounces red wine
Club soda
Citrus slices
Ice

1. Muddle 8 raspberries at the bottom of a glass with the back of a spoon.

2. Add orange liqueur and red wine, then stir.

3. Top off with club soda, adding any extra raspberries or citrus slices as a garnish. Add ice.

Dorm recipe:

Coffee cup chilaquiles

These chilaquiles are a simple, hearty snack for when you’re not hungry enough for a full meal but are sick of eating another Cup Noodles.

From St. Louis Today

Ingredients:
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk
Salt
Pepper
1 tablespoon sharp cheddar cheese
5 tortilla chips
1 tablespoon salsa

Optional: Sour cream, queso fresco, chopped scallions for garnish

1. Beat the egg and milk with a fork in coffee cup until combined. Add salt and pepper to taste, then add cheese and stir to coat. Break the tortilla chips into pieces, and add with salsa into the cup. Stir.

2. Microwave for 1 minute, 10 seconds or until the egg is cooked through. Top with sour cream, queso fresco, and scallions.

Netflix pick of the week:

“Iron Chef America”
Watching an episode of a cooking show is like diving into a bag of potato chips—it’s impossible to only do it once. Usually, if you’ve seen one episode, you’ve basically seen them all, but “Iron Chef America” manages to bring the heat every time. Based on the popular Japanese cooking show “Iron Chef” each episode involves a guest challenger chef competing against a resident “Iron Chef” in an hour-long cook-off including as many as three secret ingredients. The fantastically snarky Alton Brown provides running commentary, and the arsenal of resident chefs is also impressive, boasting Food Network personalities from Bobby Flay to Mario Batali. Watching these talented chefs race against the clock to prepare unique dishes is the kind of junk food your brains needs to unwind after a long week of classes.