Arts and Entertainment | Miscellaneous

In the Bubble: Let’s get spoopy

Drink Recipe Roundup

Now that leaving the house without a coat is no longer an option and we’re drawing ever closer to Halloween, it feels distinctly autumnal in Morningside Heights. These drinks are great for warming you up during a relaxing get-together with friends, and are best enjoyed while watching your favorite horror movie.

Hot Toddy
From Epicurious

1 ounce (2 tablespoons) bourbon
1 tablespoon mild honey
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup boiling water

Put bourbon, honey, and lemon juice in a 6-ounce mug. Top off with hot water and stir until honey is dissolved.

Cinnamon-Apple Whiskey Sour
From Baker by Nature

Servings: 4
2 cups fresh cranberries
2 cups water
2 cups sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
3/4 cup bourbon or whiskey
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup lime juice

Ice cubes and cocktail shaker for mixing

In a medium-sized pot combine cranberries, water, sugar, and cinnamon sticks.

Heat over a medium flame and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries have burst open and can easily be stirred into a smooth syrup. This will take about 10 minutes.

Once done, remove syrup from heat. Fit a large bowl with a fine mesh strainer and strain the syrup to remove large chunks and skin.

Let cool for at least 10 minutes.

When ready to make your cocktails, combine 3/4 cup syrup, whiskey, lemon juice, orange juice, lime juice, and a large handful of ice in a cocktail shaker and shake vigorously for 30 seconds.

Divide into four glasses and serve at once.

Dorm recipe

Banana-Oatmeal Cookies
From The Burlap Bag

These simple two-ingredient cookies make the perfect afternoon snack, or even a breakfast replacement if you aren’t feeling up to dining hall oatmeal.

2 large, old bananas (You can use fresh ones too.)
1 cup of oats (Quick or regular! If you use regular, chop them so everything holds together better.)

Optional additions:

-a handful of chocolate chips
-crushed walnut pieces
-cinnamon
-raisins

Mix ingredients together. Stir in any additions.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes on a greased cookie sheet.

Netflix pick of the week:

“The Babadook” (2014)

Featuring Jennifer Kent in her directorial debut, “The Babadook” tells the story of Amelia, a widow forced to raise her son Sam alone after his father dies in car crash driving Amelia to the hospital to give birth. One night, six-year-old Sam asks his mother to read him “Mister Babadook,” a pop-up storybook about a supernatural creature called the Babadook, who torments people once they learn about his existence. Sam becomes convinced that the Babadook is stalking them when glass appears in Amelia’s food and doors begin opening and closing on their own, prompting Amelia to destroy the book. The monster, however, possesses Amelia and prophesies that she will kill her own son. This film is worth watching for the cinematography alone, but the characterization of Amelia as a complex villain and heroine makes “The Babadook” truly unique.     

afrodite.koungoulos@columbiaspectator.com | @ColumbiaSpec