Arts and Entertainment | Miscellaneous

Matrix: Best bars for Cinephiles

With these bars that screen films and have movie trivia and bingo, you don't have to choose between Netflix and nightlife.

1. Videology Bar and Cinema

Where: 308 Bedford Ave., Brooklyn, NY 11211
When: Various times from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m.
Cost: $10 for tickets

This independent microcinema in Williamsburg has a 50-seat screening room and a full bar and kitchen for each presentation. Different movies are screened each night at alternate times. The longstanding Videology Movie Trivia Night, which has been featured in publications like Time Out and the New York Times, occurs each Tuesday. Wednesday nights feature Bingo Night, with topics including Twin Peaks, Freaks and Geeks, and Arrested Development.

2. Nitehawk Cinema

Where: 136 Metropolitan Ave., Brooklyn, NY 11249
When: Various times
Cost: $11 for general admission, $9 for children and seniors, $16 for movies with live entertainment

This triplex Williamsburg location hosts a 92-seat, 60-seat, and 28-seat theater. The upstairs lobby and bar plays movies for waiting patrons. The downstairs bar provides full food and drink service. This cinema single-handedly changed the Prohibition-era New York law that made serving alcohol in motion picture theaters illegal. It hosts limited-run movies and special events.

3. Wythe Hotel Screening Room & Bar

Where: 80 Wythe Ave., Brooklyn, NY 11249
When: Various times
Cost: $15

This boutique hotel, housed in a refurbished factory on the Brooklyn waterfront, touts itself as “industrial-chic.” There’s an independent entry from Wythe Avenue into the 70-seat screening room, which has a foyer with a private bar and restrooms and a full-HD digital projector. The room is equipped with projection and sound and can support Blu-ray, DVD, and streaming via VGA and HDMI from laptops.

4. Producers’ Club

Where: 358 West 44th St., New York, NY 10036
When: Various
Cost: $15 and up

An off-off-Broadway theater for rent that boasts a bar, a lounge, and five theaters convertible into screening rooms to host plays and films. Improv troupes, repertoire theater companies, filmmakers, casting directors, artists, and performers all display their craft here.

5. Anthology Film Archives

Where: 32 2nd Ave., New York, NY 10003
When: Various
Cost: $10 general admission

The Archives began ambitiously as a place that would attempt to define the “art of cinema” by screening a certain selection of films continuously. Now it screens more than 900 programs annually, with a particular focus on independent, experimental, and avant-garde cinema.

6. Crosby Street Hotel

Where: 79 Crosby St., New York, NY 10012
When: Various
Cost: Various (pricey according to Yelp)

7. The Roxy Hotel

Where: 2 6th Ave., New York, NY 10013
When: Various

anne-marie.bompart@columbiaspectator.com | @annem_bompart