Arts and Entertainment | Art

Matrix: Free art galleries

Westbeth

One of the most unique artistic spaces in NYC, Westbeth opened in the 1960s as a workplace and residential solution for artists in the city. Still partially residential, it is now a vast rehearsal and performance platform for artists, dancers, and performers all over the city. Located at 55 Bethune St, Westbeth is only open to the public for specific dates and showtimes.

Where: 55 Bethune St. (30 min)

When: Open on specific dates only. Check their events calendar online for more details.

Cost: Free

White Columns

Where: 320 West 13th St. n (25 min)

When: Tuesday through Saturday from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Cost: Free

Leica Gallery

This warmly lit and welcoming photo gallery constantly rotates its featured artists. The gallery is great for anyone interested in photojournalism—and make sure you head up to the fifth floor to actually get to the gallery.

Where: 670 Broadway (suite 570) (41 min)

When: Open Tuesday through Friday from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Cost: Free

Edward Thorpe Gallery

Where: 210 11th Ave. (18 min)

When: Tuesday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Cost: Free

Mr. Brainwash Presents Icons

Fans of Banksy-esque art should be sure to check out the work of Mr. Brainwash, the French street pop artist and star of Banksy’s own documentary, “Exit Through the Gift Shop.” The vibrant gallery is full of reimaginations of iconic images like the Statue of Liberty and David Bowie’s “Ziggy Stardust.” Take a solo trip to this West 13th Street gallery, or go on a fun date.

Where: 415 West 13th St., Manhattan, NY 10014 (28 min)

When: Wednesday through Sunday from 2:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

Cost: Free

Martin Lawrence Gallery

This gallery features original and limited edition paintings from some of the biggest names in art, including Andy Warhol and Pablo Picasso.

Where: 457 West Broadway (30 min)

When: Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Cost: Free

Kenkeleba House

This gallery focuses on non-Western art and influences, and is unique in its presentation of African-American, Latino, Asian-American, and Native American art. Stop by for lectures and readings, and don’t forget to hang out in the sculpture garden.

Where: 214 East Second St. (50 min)

Cost: Free