Arts and Entertainment | Miscellaneous

In the Bubble: Pumpkin spice sangria, eggplant pasta, and British bake-offs

Don’t feel like leaving the comfort of your bed or walking any farther than Ferris this weekend? Well, we’ve got you covered—here are some suggestions to spice up your Saturday and Sunday that won’t break your wallet.

Drink Recipe Roundup:

Few flavors are as distinctly autumnal as apple cider, pumpkin, and cinnamon. These cocktail recipes pair those fall classics with the rich caramel undertones of bourbon and rum—an ideal drink to warm you up as temperatures keep dropping.

Pumpkin, Cinnamon, and Apple Spiced Sangria

From Free People

Ingredients:

2 apples, sliced or cubed

½ cup cranberries

1 teaspoon salt

3 cinnamon sticks

1 orange, sliced or cubed

1 pear, sliced or cubed

2 tablespoon pumpkin puree

2 cups apple or pumpkin bourbon

1 ½ cups apple cider

Champagne

Directions:

Add all of the ingredients together in a pitcher, except for the champagne. Top off with champagne and stir well. Place in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.

Stone Wall

From Food & Wine

Ingredients:

1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced

1 ½ teaspoons simple syrup

1 ½ ounces aged rum

1 ½ ounces apple cider

Ice

1 ½ ounces chilled ginger beer

1 lime wedge

1 slice of apple

Directions:

In a cocktail shaker, muddle the ginger with the simple syrup. Add the rum and cider; fill the shaker with ice and shake well. Strain into an ice-filled rocks glass and top with the ginger beer. Garnish with the lime wedge and apple slice.

Dorm recipe of the week:

This hearty pasta dish is full of oft-neglected vegetables that can be hard to incorporate in a college diet, and yields enough servings to share with friends or freeze for future meals.

One Pot Vegan Pasta

Adapted from The Minimalist Baker

Servings: 3 to 4

Ingredients:

12 ounces dried pasta

½ small eggplant, cubed

2 cups cremini or button mushrooms, sliced

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 ½ cups vegan marinara sauce

2 cups water

2 teaspoons sea salt 1 teaspoon ground black pepper

2 tablespoons olive oil

Optional: basil or parsley for garnish

Directions:

1. Rinse and dice eggplant into small, bite-sized cubes. Place in a colander in the sink and sprinkle generously with salt to draw out some of the moisture. Wait 20-30 minutes, then rinse and pat thoroughly dry with a towel. Set aside. If you’re short on time, skip the eggplant and double the mushrooms.

2. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 2-3 tablespoons olive oil, the eggplant, and 1 clove of minced garlic. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon sea salt and stir. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown, then add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes more or until all of the veggies have color. Add sauce and stir. Set aside and cover.

3. Add the pasta, water, and the remaining cloves of garlic to the same saucepan. Add 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper (you will likely add more later, depending on the saltiness of your marinara and your personal taste).

4. Bring mixture to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer until the pasta is cooked to al dente. Time will vary depending on the kind of pasta, but this typically takes an average of 10 minutes, stirring once or twice so the pasta doesn’t stick to the pan.

5. Once cooked, stir and taste to adjust seasonings. Strain pasta and return to pot.

6. Remove from heat and top with eggplant-mushroom mixture and fresh parsley or basil. Serve immediately.

Netflix pick of the week:

“The Great British Baking Show"
Hosted by famed British cooking personalities Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry, “The Great British Bake Off”—billed as “The Great British Baking Show” on Netflix—is a competition between 10 contestants for the title of Britain’s best amateur baker. Unlike the cutthroat competitors on American cooking shows like “Chopped” or “Master Chef,” everyone is distinctly more laid-back on “The Great British Baking Show.” Instead of being driven by a need to outdo other competitors, the often charmingly awkward contestants are driven by their genuine love for baking. Each episode is split into three parts, in which competitors create one signature dessert—like a leavened cake or a savory biscuit—one technical execution of a judge’s recipe, and one deliciously elaborate “showstopper” dessert—like a self-supporting, 3D biscuit sculpture. Because each stage has a fairly long time allotment, chefs are given the chance to express their creativity. The show is worth watching to learn about British desserts you never knew existed—such as self-saucing pudding—and, of course, to listen to some soothing British accents.

afrodite.koungoulos@columbiaspectator.com | @ColumbiaSpec