Arts and Entertainment | Miscellaneous

In the Bubble: Bourbon Maple Apple Cider and ‘A Trip to the Moon’

Don’t feel like leaving the comfort of your bed or walking any farther than Ferris this weekend? Well, we’ve got you covered—here are some suggestions to spice up your Saturday and Sunday that won’t break your wallet.

Drink Recipe Roundup:

Pear Haymaker
From Saveur

Makes two cocktails

Ingredients

For the ginger syrup:

¼ cup sliced, peeled ginger
1 cup sugar

For the cocktail:

4 ounces vodka
1 ounce fresh lemon juice
1 pear, chopped, peeled, and cored (
Anjou, Moonglow, Bosc, or any finely textured and fragrant pear is best)
Ginger ale, to top

Directions

1. Make the ginger syrup: Combine sliced ginger, sugar, and 1 cup water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Strain out ginger solids and discard, storing syrup in an airtight container.

2. Divide chopped pear between two 12-ounce tall glasses; muddle in each glass with a wooden muddler. Pour 2 ounces vodka over the pears in each glass and fill with ice. Add ½ ounce ginger syrup and ½ ounce lemon juice to each glass, stir to combine, and top with ginger ale.

Bourbon Maple Apple Cider
From
Freutcake

Makes two cocktails

Ingredients

6 ounces bourbon
4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
4-6 teaspoons pure maple syrup, or to taste
1 cup spiced apple cider
Apple slices for garnish
Ice

Directions

1. Fill glasses and a cocktail shaker with ice. Add bourbon, lemon juice, maple syrup, and apple cider to shaker and shake vigorously.

2. Strain into glasses and garnish each with a slice of apple.

Dorm recipe of the week:

Orecchiette with Cherry Tomatoes and Arugula
From Smitten Kitchen

Serves 2

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 small shallots, finely chopped
1 pint mixed red and yellow cherry tomatoes, quartered
Cooked fresh orecchiette (approximately 2 cups dry)
2 cups fresh arugula, de-stemmed and roughly chopped
Salt and pepper
Freshly grated parmesan cheese

Directions

1. Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat, adding garlic and shallots. Saute until soft, but not browned.

2. Add chopped cherry tomatoes, cooking for just a few minutes until they have softened, but not lost completely lost their form.

3. Add pasta, reheating it in the sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Add the arugula, stirring until it has just wilted. Sprinkle freshly grated parmesan and serve immediately.

Netflix pick of the week:

“A Trip to the Moon” (1902)

This silent French film, considered to be one of the first science fiction films about outer space, was directed by Georges Méliès, a pioneer of film special effects. “A Trip to the Moon” tells the story of Professor Barbenfouillis, a member of the astronomy club, who convinces five other astronomers to take a trip to the moon with him. In what modern viewers and astronauts would consider a hilarious oversimplification of space travel, the six astronomers are shot to the moon in a bullet-shaped capsule by cannon, and are able to walk around without space suits. After discovering the alien Selenites, the astronomers capture one and return to Earth. Only 15 minutes long, the version available on Netflix features colored, restored stills, many of which are hand-painted, with an ambient soundtrack by the French band Air. “A Trip to the Moon” is a must-see for any cinephile or science fiction fan, but the bright visuals and psychedelic music make this an entertaining film for everyone.

afrodite.koungoulos@columbiaspectator.com | @ColumbiaSpec