Arts and Entertainment | Food and Drink

Matrix: Dive Bars

1020 Bar, 1020 Amsterdam Ave.

Cheap beer and proximity to campus made this bar a college staple on the Upper West Side. While its popularity has grown over the years, its unassuming vibe has warded off some of the evils that come with being “too mainstream.” There are pool tables to let off some steam, TVs to watch games not broadcasted on Columbia’s admittedly horrible sports channel selection, and trivia on Tuesday night if mouthing off in your philosophy class isn’t enough for you.

Price: $

Open: 4:00 p.m. to 4:00 a.m.

Happy Hour: daily from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Dublin House Bar & Tap Room, 225 West 79th St.

Boasting an impressive history starting in the midst of Prohibition, the Dublin House Bar is truly one of NYC’s gems. With some shady dealings with the law and an innocent façade as a residential building, the Dublin House survived through the dry era and has kept its doors open ever since. If authenticity is your thing, the bar boasts a full Irish lineage since its inception and the best Guinness this side of the Atlantic. If you’re not up to running into your classmates and want to act more jaded than you actually are, the Dublin House is the perfect stop for a drink or two. Or five.

Price: $$

Open: Monday through Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 a.m., Sunday from noon to 4:00 a.m.

Happy Hour: Monday through Friday from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Dive Bar, 732 Amsterdam Ave.

A dive bar named Dive Bar. Who’da thunk it, right? Starting off as a speakeasy, then remodeling first as a bar and then as a restaurant and bar, Dive Bar almost seems too clean to make the list. Its welcoming atmosphere and extensive list of beers, tequilas, bourbons, and basically every alcohol, have solidified its status as a classic neighborhood haunt of the Upper West Side. For good service and a chill view of the aquarium, Dive Bar’s the way to go.

Price: $$

Open: daily from 11:30 a.m. to 4:00 a.m.

George Keeley, 485 Amsterdam Ave.

Founded by former Long Island teacher Drew Dvorkin and named after his father-in-law, George Keeley is the quintessential Irish dive bar. Several TVs adorn the wall to keep you entertained, while a notable artisanal beer rotation will chase the taste of Bud Light away. With dark, rich wood paneling and bright brass accents, Keeley’s warm and homey ambience provides a much needed refuge from the cold.

Price: $$

Open: Monday through Friday from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 a.m., Saturday and Sunday from noon to 4:00 a.m.

Happy Hour: Monday through Thursday from 2:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., Friday through Sunday from noon to 8:00 p.m.

Dive 75, 101 West 75th St.

Revelling in nostalgia isn’t the only way to have good time. Bar 75 has mastered a blend of old and new with a wide array of board games, an internet jukebox, and a fish tank. With a great selection of craft beers and spirits and a knowledgeable staff to help you choose exactly what you want that night, Dive 75 is the place for a night out playing drunk Scrabble with friends.

Price: $$

Open: Monday through Thursday from 5:00 p.m. to 4:00 a.m., Friday from 3:00 p.m. through 4:00 a.m., Saturday and Sunday from noon to 4 a.m.

Happy Hour: daily from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.

daniela.rodriguez@columbiaspectator.com | @ColumbiaSpec