Arts and Entertainment | Music

Rock around NYC at the The 2nd Annual Dave Harrington & Friends Holiday Spectacular

This Sunday night, (Le) Poisson Rouge will host holiday cheer with The 2nd Annual Dave Harrington & Friends Holiday Spectacular. The concert will bring together musicians from bands like Yeasayer and ARMS, and musicals like “Hedwig and the Angry Inch,” for a night of pan-denominational festivity.

The idea sprung out of an honest wish to get together with friends over the holiday season.

“Last year, I just got it in my head that it []…[] would be a great excuse to get a bunch of friends together and play some music. It’s like my community’s equivalent of the company party,” show founder Dave Harrington said. Harrington and his friends teamed up with Brooklyn-based promotion group PopGun to put on the show.

The Holiday Spectacular features a house band that includes Harrington on bass, along with more than 20 musical guests like Peter Silberman of The Antlers, Jon Natchez of The War on Drugs, and Olga Bell of Dirty Projectors.

“It’s got the whole indie flavor, so I think it’ll be cool,” Bell said.

Not only is the show a celebration of close friends and holiday cheer, but it’s also a charity show for the Harlem School of the Arts.

“I put the show together for the sake of all the reasons I explained before, and then I realized, ‘What you’re doing, Dave, is a charity show,’” Harrington said. “It just seemed like the obvious thing to do.”

From its inception in 1964, the Harlem School of the Arts has endeavored to provide the community with world-class training in the four disciplines of theater, music, art, and dance. As a former student of the HSA, Harrington decided to give the proceeds of the show to his alma mater as a way of giving back.

“Last year [Dave] actually reached out to donate the proceeds to Harlem School of the Arts because he believed that it strongly impacted and influenced his creative journey. We were very honored to receive such donations,” Eva Woolridge, development and communications assistant at the HSA, said.

In an effort to continue the good will, this year’s event will also benefit HSA.

“Without being overly sentimental, it was definitely a community that was important to me, that I felt connected to,” Harrington said.

Whereas this year’s show will take place at (Le) Poisson Rouge, last year’s event was staged at the now-closed DIY venue Glasslands.

“Everyone who stepped on stage that night, all of the band members and all of the guests, had played there at one time or another at various stages in their careers, or if they hadn’t played there, they’d seen a billion shows there,” Harrington said. “So, to get all these people together in a place that was special, made it all feel that much homier, in that sentimental, holiday way.”

This year promises another unforgettable Holiday Spectacular.

“The show has grown, not because (Le) Poisson Rouge is a bigger venue, but because there’s new friends,” Harrington said. “It’ll be a whole new experience because of that.”

The show is set up to give each musician a chance to play a song that is meaningful to them.

“The bulk of the music is ostensibly Christmas music, but the point is the spirit of the thing,” Harrington said. “Last year my good friend Alex Bleeker, who’s the bassist for Real Estate, decided that he wanted to play ‘Thunder Road’ by Bruce Springsteen. And at first I was like, ‘Well []…[] Alex, that is not a Christmas song.’ He was like, ‘It has tinkly piano. It’ll be fine, don’t worry about it!’ And it totally brought the house down. It was one of my favorite moments.”

In light of recent events, this time of year serves as a reminder to celebrate the small things in life, to appreciate good company, and to indulge in the merry and bright. In this regard, the Holiday Spectacular has managed to get at the heart of the purpose of the holidays.

“The holidays at their best are about getting together with people you care about,” Harrington said. “And so, ultimately, that’s what the show is about.”

The 2nd Annual Dave Harrington & Friends Holiday Spectacular is an 18+ show at (Le) Poisson Rouge starting at 8 p.m. (doors open at 7 p.m.).Tickets are $12 in advance, or $15 day of. Donations to the Harlem School of the Arts can be made here.

daniela.rodriguez@columbiaspectator.com | @ColumbiaSpec

Mary Wilkie posted on

Hi everyone, I'm so excited.
My ex-boyfriend is back after a breakup,I’m extremely happy that will are living together again.
My name is Mary Wilkie from England.
My boyfriend of a 4yr just broke up with me and am 30 weeks pregnant.I have cried my self to sleep most of the nights and don’t seem to concentrate during lectures sometimes I stay awake almost all night thinking about him and start to cry all over again.Because of this I end up not having energy for my next day’s classes ,my attendance has dropped and am always in uni and on time.Generally he is a very nice guy ,he ended it because he said we were arguing a lot and not getting along.He is right we’ve been arguing during the pregnancy a lot .After the break up I kept ringing him and telling him I will change.I am in love with this guy and he is the best guy I have ever been with.I’m still hurt and in disbelief when he said he didn’t have any romantic feelings towards me anymore that hurt me faster than a lethal syringe.He texts me now and then mainly to check up on how am doing with the pregnancy,he is supportive with it but it’s not fair on me, him texting me as I just want to grieve the pain and not have any stress due to the pregnancy.i was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a spell for me. 28 hours later, my bf came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my bf are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr Unity. If you have any problem contact Dr.Unity now and i guarantee you that he will help you.Email him at:( Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ),you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: ( +2348071622464 ),His website: http://unityspelltemple.yolasite.com .

+1
+1
-1
Jessica posted on

Dr.Unity can help you with real and genuine Love spell to get ex back fast and Stop a Divorce or Breakup.
My bf broke up with me almost 6 months ago. We were dating for about 2 years. We fell out a little bit when he got depressed. Then we patched things up but at the end he told he did not want to commit to anyone right now. After breakup I was begging him to come back. I was desperate and clingy. I know that it was the worst thing to do. Currently I keep no contact almost for three months). I really miss him and I want him back... I do not know what to do. I need some advice. As I was browsing through the internet one day, I came across a website that suggested that Dr.Unity can help get ex back fast and Stop a Divorce or Breakup and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and told him my problems and he told me what to do and i did it and he did a spell for me. 11 hours later, my husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my family are living together happily again. Dr.Unity is the best online spell caster that is powerful and genuine. If you have any problem contact him and i guarantee you that he will help you. Here’s his contact: Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com , you can also call him or add him on whats-app: +2348071622464 ,Website: http://unityspelltemple.yolasite.com ..... Thank you

+1
+1
-1
Jessica posted on

Hey guys, Get your ex back fast with the help of a real and genuine spell caster called Dr.Unity.
I'm so excited my broken Marriage has been restored and my husband is back after a breakup, After 2 years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. i felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, I was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a (Love spell) for me. 28 hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before,All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr Unity real and powerful spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your Ex back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact: Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,
you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348071622464 ,
his website:http://unityspelltemple.yolasite.com .
Jessica, 26 years, Texas, USA.

+1
+1
-1
Victoria Jacques posted on

This Is How To Actually Win And Get Your Ex Back With The Help Of Dr Happy Powerful And Urgent Love Spell With 100% Guarantee
Hiiiii!! my boyfriend and I have been getting into little arguments which then later escalated. A lot of which are my fault but I never thought I would lose him because we are in love. He told me yesterday that he loves me but is done. That the fights keep hurting him too much. I can’t believe I hurt him like that and would love nothing more than another chance to prove to him and myself that I will cut out my insecurities that I’ve brought into this relationship. I did all i could to end this fight between us us, didn’t work so i had to seek the help of a spell caster who i met online and promised to help me bring him back into my life in 2 days time. i wasn’t really sure about this, but i was really desperate that i had to do all that the spell caster asked me. it was on the second day at 5pm on Friday, i had a knock on the door and to my greatest surprise, it was my boyfriend, the first thing he said, was that he has forgiven me and he will never leave me again, Am so full of joy for what this spell caster and to this product page and graphic love spell coz it really help and work for me, i also want the world to benefit from this. if you need his help you can reach him for any thing on relationship problem, getting your ex back save and protect your marriage life with your soul mate contact him now for he is so powerful and real.
Urgently email him now on happylovespell2@gmail.com for more info
Visit or view on his web site at Web site:http://happyspelltemple.webs.com/
Also for quick option on how to help with a love spell add him up on Whats-app +2348133873774

+1
0
-1