Placing an Order
To place an advertisement please contact one of the individuals below:
Print & online
General inquiries & consultations
Director of Sales & Monetization
The Spectator will refuse to publish advertisements that it judges to be potentially inflammatory, libelous, or offensive. As a general rule, ads where the primary intent is to advance an idea or perspective—essentially a paid editorial—will be deemed inappropriate for publication. Political ads publicizing an event or promoting a book will usually be judged acceptable. The decision on whether or not an ad will be published ultimately rests with the Spectator’s Corporate Board.
- All advertising submitted is subject to the approval of the Corporate Board consisting of the Editor in Chief, Managing Editor, and Publisher. These officers reserve the right to refuse any advertising content that does not meet the company's newspaper standards, but unless otherwise authorized in advance, no change will be made without the consent of the Advertiser or Agency.
- The Advertiser and/or Advertising Agency agrees to defend and indemnify Spectator against any and all liability, loss, or expense arising from claims of libel, unfair competition, unfair trade practice, infringement of trademarks, trade names or patents, violations of rights of privacy and infringement of copyrights and proprietary rights resulting from the publication of the Advertisers advertisement.
- Spectator reserves the right to change its advertising rates and conditions set forth on its rate card any time on 30 days notice.
- The right is reserved to insert the word "Advertisement" above and/or below any copy.
- Spectator shall not be liable for slight changes or typographical errors that do not decrease the value of an advertisement. Nor will Spectator be liable for any other errors appearing in the advertisement unless corrected copy is received before the copy deadline with corrections plainly noted thereon. Liability, where there is any, is limited to the cost of the ad in question.
- Credit is available to qualified accounts, however, bills must be paid within 30 days of billing. Pre-payment is required for all first-time advertisers.
- Advertisers and Agencies forwarding orders to Spectator that contain incorrect rates or conditions are hereby advised that the advertising called for will be inserted and charged at the regular rate schedule and conditions in force at the time published.
- Minimum display advertising is 2 column inches and 1/2 inch increments thereafter. Advertisements 13 inches or more in depth will be considered full-page ads and billed accordingly.
- Advertising cancelled after the deadline for publication is subject to full charge. Cancelled ads will also be subject to a $50 service charge to cover handling and production costs.
- Spectator is not responsible for specific ad placement. Ads may be moved or removed at the discretion of the Corporate Board.
- Advertisers will be charged an additional $30 for any check returned by the bank.
The Spectator Publishing Company is the parent company of the Columbia Daily Spectator, The Eye, and Spectrum. The president of the Spectator Publishing Company also serves as the Publisher of the Columbia Daily Spectator. The company employs a full-time professional staff in graphics and advertising who provide quality service to its many advertisers.