The Eye

Letter From the Editor: Politics Issue

Dear ever-watchful constituents,

Welcome to this week’s issue of Politico!

We’ll be discussing swing states, the latest alarming poll, Trump’s newest—just kidding, you haven’t been redirected to the wrong media outlet. This is The Eye, your favorite weekly magazine! This week, though, we’ve decided to try something new. Come on a journey with us and delve into the pure, honest, and totally-unmarred-by-any-scandals-in-recent-memory world of politics.

I know what you’re thinking: a political issue—as if those goddamn millennials need another reason to write think pieces about the first presidential election they’re eligible to vote in. Fret not discouraged poll-goers, this is The Eye: We can’t be too on the nose about these kinds of things.

In fact, we fled the glaring spotlight heating up this historical campaign season and instead peered into the more obscure, local dynamics that surround us. As the oft-cited maxim asks, if every action is a political one, where at Columbia is power wielded, gained, or lost?

This week’s lead, written by our very own deputy editor Parth Chhabra, follows Columbia College Student Council first-year elections. As probably one of the only people to have attended a CCSC debate, he introduces us to Columbia’s budding campus politicians. Make sure to remember their names, as they’ll most likely crop up in CCSC elections the following spring elections, sophomore year elections, junior… basically until our 10-year reunion.

But if Columbia politics is a game of musical chairs—with those incumbents basically ruining the fun by never letting go of their seats—the Columbia University Marching Band’s political history is, quite literally, a riot. Zachariah Crutchfield’s feature traces CUMB’s trajectory, from when it was a traditional marching band in 1904 to when it scrambled into the shape of a chastity belt on Baker Field in 1979. Part-time music ensemble, full-time thought-provokers, CUMB has a vibrant history that goes far beyond its biannual powwows in 209 Butler.

CUMB is not the only fair player in the campus-wide game of musical chairs. In fact, the implacability of CCSC elections is a stark contrast to most student organizations’ fluidity. Alexandra Peebles and Eliza Solomon’s feature on the cavity the Mixed Heritage Society has filled in campus identity-based organizations explores the dynamics of race, heritage, and finding a sense of belonging. Malina Gulino’s piece on recent connections forged across student-activist groups looks for what’s motivating their statements of solidarity and support. And in this hyper-activist environment Columbia breeds, Emma Tueller-Stone’s View From Here is a sweet reprieve: Sometimes coming to college means losing that desire to fight the “good fight.”

And, finally, if the list of candidates for CCSC, congressional, or presidential elections are not your groove, don’t hesitate to vote for our wonderful candidates of the Long-form Platform party in our new series, “Blinks”—we’re funny, we know.

Have fun leafing through our third issue, and subscribe to our new weekly newsletter, As We See It!