With police presence near campus, Columbia Divest for Climate Justice protests, makes civil disobedience pledge

With a heavy police presence near campus, about 50 members of Columbia Divest for Climate Justice chanted phrases like “Profiting from climate change is immoral,” at a protest on Wednesday intended to pressure Columbia to divest from the fossil fuel industry.

This event—part of a national climate change day of action—came an hour before group members presented a proposal on fossil fuel divestment to the Advisory Committee on Socially Responsible Investing, asking University to divest its direct and indirect holdings from the top 200 oil, coal, and natural gas companies.

As CDCJ escalates its tactics to pressure Columbia to make a decision, the group has also collected 170 student pledges to engage in nonviolent civil disobedience—including possible arrest and expulsion—if the University does not divest from fossil fuels.

Notably, CDCJ’s protest was marked by the presence of approximately 40 police officers along Broadway, from 114th to 116th streets.

At the protest, group members filed onto Low Steps, raising signs that featured slogans such as “Climate change kills New York City” and demonstrating examples of the effect of climate change on city infrastructure and communities. As students passed by Low Steps, protesters called for Columbia to “be a leader” and “stand up for people and the planet.”

“We’d like to place pressure on the administration before our members’ presentation of our proposal before ACSRI, and we’d also like to mobilize the student body to show ACSRI we have broad-based student support,” CDCJ member Nikita Perumal, GS ’16, said.

Two police officers present at the scene, both of whom asked to remain anonymous out of concerns for job security, confirmed that police were present because of the CDCJ protest on Low Steps, but declined to comment further.

A spokesperson for the New York Police Department said that they had no information on the police presence around campus.

CDCJ organizer Rachel Fifi-Culp, CC ’17, said she was surprised to see police members following the group’s protest, noting that their presence could have made students of color especially uncomfortable.

“It speaks to a trend of over-militarization of our campus against students,” she said. “The fact that they [Public Safety and the NYPD] are mobilizing against students so frequently is scary.”

Amy Wang, CC '18, leading the protestors to Low Plaza. 

Members of Divest Barnard were also present, urging both Barnard and Columbia to divest because "climate change disproportionately hurts women."

“Around the world, climate change will affect the people who are already the most vulnerable,” the protesters chanted. “Women, children, people of color, low-income communities. And Columbia supports that for profit. It’s not about trees, it’s about people. Climate change is about climate justice.”

Earlier in the afternoon, Divest Barnard staged a speak-out outside of Barnard Hall to coincide with both the People's Climate Movement National Day of Action and the beginning of committee meetings for the Barnard board of trustees. Barnard President Debora Spar and the trustees' Committee on Investments was slated to begin discussion on fossil fuel divestment.

CDCJ also used the protest to encourage students passing by to join the group’s civil disobedience pledge. Approximately 50 students said that they would risk arrest, while about 25 students said they would risk suspension and about eight would face expulsion, according to CDCJ organizers.

“Unless Columbia University commits to divesting from the top 200 coal, oil, and gas companies, I will participate in nonviolent civil disobedience to protest Columbia University profiting off of, and therefore condoning, a business model that endangers public health, exacerbates climatic and political instability, and disproportionately harms people of color and low-income communities around the world,” the pledge says.

Cops surrounded campus during the protest. 

CDCJ organizer Iliana Salazar-Dodge, CC ’16, said that the pledge intentionally lacks specifics regarding the type of action and timeline, because these factors will depend on ACSRI’s response.

“It seems like we're going to escalate no matter what,” Salazar-Dodge said. “If they [ACSRI] do endorse [the proposal], our target will be the board. But if they don't, they would also be targeted.”

Inspired by a similar effort from the fossil fuel divestment campaign at Stanford University, CDCJ’s pledge, which was launched two days ago, includes an extended sit-in over several days, a “sleep-in,” and a hunger strike among listed possible forms of protest.

“It's pretty vague what we want to do, but it could involve anything from students occupying an entire building or an office,” Salazar-Dodge said. “We don't have a concrete plan.”

Salazar-Dodge added that she anticipates the group will be carrying out civil disobedience before COP21, an international conference slated to be held in December that seeks to achieve a binding global agreement on stabilizing climate change.

ACSRI’s only scheduled meeting between now and the conference will be on Nov. 11.

“Columbia is at a point where it can lead and create a global impact, since it [COP21] will be a global stage,” Salazar-Dodge said. “So we will escalate before then."

Iris Aikaterini Frangou and Razia Sultana contributed reporting.

news@columbiaspectator.com | @ColumbiaSpec

Kim Wiggs posted on

Return Lost Love Spells That Really Work fast: Check Dr. Trust website for more testimony of other people https://utimatespellcaster.com

My appreciation goes to the great spell caster who has brought back my husband. It all happened when i came across different testimonies and appreciations share about this man called Dr Trust here on the internet on how he did cast spells to reunite broken relationships,winning lotto for different people across the globe. Then i decided to collect is website contact for me to reach out to him,because i was also encountering some problems with my man and this has torn our relationship apart. So I did that with reluctance and i got a positive result which was just all like a dream to me,my husband call my cell phone again for the first time in 4 years asking for us to have a date and sort out things. Now as i speak we are happier than ever before. My husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. Thank you Dr Trust for saving my broken Marriage. Dr. Trust is the best online spell caster that is powerful and genuine. Email him now today.

Check his website for more testimony of other people https://utimatespellcaster.com

Email him: Ultimatespellcast@yahoo.com OR Ultimatespellcast@gmail.com

Whats-App: or call: +2348156885231

+1
-4
-1

How to get your Ex lover back fast after a breakup or divorce! Unityspelltemple@gmail.com is certainly the best spell caster online, and his result is 100% guarantee..
I’m so excited sharing my testimony..
After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, I was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a (Love spell) for me. 28 hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.Unity real and powerful spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your Ex back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact: Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com , you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348071622464 ,you can also visit his website: https://unityspelltempe.blogspot.com .
Wendy Murray

+1
-7
-1
jessicastephen22 posted on

URGENT LOVE-SPELL TO GET YOUR EX BOYFRIEND/GIRLFRIEND BACK FAST!!
I’m so excited! Thanks to Dr.Unity for bringing back my Ex-husband and brought great joy to me today! Unityspelltemple@gmail.com is certainly the best spell caster online,if you need your Ex lover back fast!and his result is 100% guarantee..
After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, I was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a (Love spell) for me. 28 hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.Unity real and powerful spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your Ex back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact: Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,
you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348071622464 ,
you can also visit his website: https://unityspelltempe.blogspot.com .

+1
-5
-1
Carson Dane Connor posted on

It was too late for me to realize that my six-year-old marriage was only an episode, I feel that I try every time to convince my husband to love, commit and respect me as the queen of his heart but time worsened everything, he never changes to becoming the man I once fell in love with despite my humanly efforts.
I was encouraged to share this review eight month after my husband’s loyalty was restored by a man I call my spiritual father; dr. wakina {dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com}. My spiritual father practically made our hearts unbreakable and our love 10 times stronger. We have been enjoying the benefits of his spell on us.
Hope you are encouraged never to let go after reading this review? Note that there is hope and love on the other side only if you begin now to fight for the future. Thanks for your time.

+1
+1
-1
Sarah Jack posted on

Henderson Elizabeth
Dr joy is a trust worthy spell caster and he will be of great help to you. I never believed in spell casting but After 4 years of marriage my husband left me because I lost my womb, and i was unable to give birth to children. I felt like my life has come to an end, and i almost committed suicide, i was emotionally down for a very long time, but thanks to this spell caster called Dr joy whom i met online after my friend Becky Ross told me how he also helped her to bring back her husband in less than 2 days. I believed her and decided to give Dr joy a try and i contacted him on his email joylovespell@gmail.com. and explained my problems to him. He laughed and told me that In less than 2 days, my Husband will come back to me again, and that he will restore my womb and i will give birth to children. At first i thought it was a joke but i took courage and believed as Dr joy has said and it did happen just as this Great spell caster said, My husband called me and was crying, begging for forgiveness. I forgive him and today i am so glad that all worries and problems has gone away, and we are even happier than before, another good news is that i am pregnant now, and very soon we will have our baby. Dr joy is really a gifted and a powerful spiritual man and i will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man. I advice you all If you have a problem and you are looking for a real and genuine spell caster to solve all your problems just Contact Dr joy on his email on joylovespell@gmail.com. because he will always help you to solve all problems. Once again thank you Dr joy. Thank you, thank you.
you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2347088404185.

+1
-3
-1
Sarah posted on

URGENT EFFECTIVE LOVE-SPELL TO GET YOUR EX LOVER BACK FAST BEFORE CHRISTMAS.
I am Sarah from USA, after 9 years of marriage with my husband,
he divorced me and brought in another lady, i did all i could to get him back
but all proved abortive, I was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a
website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told
me what to do and i did it then he did a (Love spell) for me.
28 hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much,
So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,
and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,
our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided
to share my story on the internet that Dr.Unity real and powerful spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble,
if you are here and you need your
Ex back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now.
Here’s his contact: Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,

+1
-3
-1
Magie Nicholas posted on

HOW TO GET YOUR DIVORCE EX HUSBAND & WIFE BACK BEFORE XMAS

I want to really use this medium to thank powerful Dr. Ugo wonders for helping me get my broken home back after my husband of 18 years left me for another lady. Two months ago my Husband filed for a divorce through his lawyer when we had no issues at all. i was surprised because our family was a very happy one with three beautiful kids that even neighbors were jealous of us. i never knew a girl he met at the mall cast a spell on him so he will love her alone and forget about his family. i tried all ways to reach him and make peace ordinarily but i could not because the potency of the spell was so high on him that he could not even get himself. a friend of mine who felt pity for me introduced me to Dr. Ugo through his email ( generalspelltemple@gmail.com ) so i contacted Dr. Ugo and told him all about my marital problem. He assured me that he will help me and that my husband will be back to me in 24 hours, i trusted him because he had worked for my friend who wont stop testifying about him. To my greatest surprise, after 24 hours of contacting Dr. Ugo, my husband called me to start begging and immediately came back to us and now we are happy family again. i cant stop thanking Dr. Ugo wonders and i advice anyone out there with any relationship or marriage problem to contact him immediately for help through his email generalspelltemple@gmail.com or call his mobile
phone number +1 383-336-9876
contact website: http://generalspelltempleblog.wordpress.com

+1
-1
-1
Kelsey Sonny posted on

It hurts when my five year old daughter ask if Daddy will be coming whenever we are celebrating on a round table. Meanwhile I was used to celebrating every holiday season alone for two years after my husband abandoned us for another woman.
But I promised during last Thanksgiving that I will give her an unforgettable gift this Christmas Holiday. I didn’t know it will be possible and at the same time I didn’t want to disappoint my Daughter. It was an impossible request presented to Dr. Wakina’s table through dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com with a time frame, I don’t want to be a lying Mommy.
Believe me when I say it was an unforgettable moment between my Husband and our Daughter when he came knocking on Christmas Eve. Something I never thought will be possible became a reality. Love Spell is real and Dr. Wakina is genuine.

+1
-1
-1
sarahbarbara175 posted on

URGENT EFFECTIVE LOVE-SPELL TO GET YOUR EX BOYFRIEND/GIRLFRIEND BACK FAST. Unityspelltemple@gmail.com is certainly the best spell caster online, and his result is 100% guarantee.
I am Sarah Barbara from USA, after 4 years of relationship with my boyfriend,
he broke up me and brought in another Girl, i did all i could to get him back
28 hours later, my boyfriend really called me and told me that he miss me so much,
and for the pain he caused me . Then from that day,
Our relationship was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided
if you are here and you need your Ex back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now.

+1
+2
-1

google

+1
-3
-1
Jessica posted on

After being in relationship with Wilson for seven years,he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that don't believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I meant a spell caster called Dr Zuma zuk and I email him, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened, that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and who is different from all the fake ones out there. Anybody could need the help of the spell caster, his email: spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com or call him +2349055637784 you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or anything. CONTACT HIM NOW FOR SOLUTION TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMS

+1
-5
-1
URGENT EFFECTIVE LOVE-SPELL TO GET YOUR EX BOYFRIEND/GIRLFR posted on

you can also visit his website: https://urgentspell.blogspot.com ,
Website: https://unityspelltempe.blogspot.com.

+1
-1
-1
Joe22 posted on

My wife and I had been estranged since 2013. I tried a number pf practitioners on the internet to get help. I found Todd’s site on the back page of a Miami Newspaper and decided to give him a call, he didn’t answer, but his voicemail led me to setting up an account on his website. I started working with him in early 2015 and I am glad that I did. My wife is back at home, we are in counseling. She told me that she started having dreams of me and couldn’t get my image out of her mind, before that she had wished me dead, the dreams started after Dr. Todd completed his work. Thank you, Todd, for all your hard work for me. E-mail: mnaifestspellcast@gmail.com

+1
-4
-1
Joe22 posted on

My wife and I had been estranged since 2013. I tried a number pf practitioners on the internet to get help. I found Todd’s site on the back page of a Miami Newspaper and decided to give him a call, he didn’t answer, but his voicemail led me to setting up an account on his website. I started working with him in early 2015 and I am glad that I did. My wife is back at home, we are in counseling. She told me that she started having dreams of me and couldn’t get my image out of her mind, before that she had wished me dead, the dreams started after Dr. Todd completed his work. Thank you, Todd, for all your hard work for me. E-mail: manifestspellcast@gmail.com

+1
-2
-1
Julie Collins posted on

I NEED MY EX LOVER BACK Contact: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,Is certainly the best spell caster online, and his result is 100% guarantee. My Names is Julie Collins from United states.
After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, I was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a (Love spell) for me. 28 hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.Unity real and powerful spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your Ex back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact: Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com , you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348071622464 , you can also visit his website: https://urgentspell.blogspot.com .

+1
-2
-1
Devon Robin posted on

This is not just the ordinary reviews about spell casters that floods the web everyday, mine is written out of a personal experience & observation. I count it a privilege to judiciously use this life time opportunity given to me by a genius (Dr. Wakina) that possess a high level of spiritual potential to make infeasible feasible.
Idk if it is right to call him an angel because he is exceptional in incomparable for making life, finance, breakup and divorce easier to resolve with a perfect and lasting solution.
After the experience & observation I obtained within 7 years my Husband left me, I decided to settle comfortable with the benefit of appreciating Dr. Wakina for doing what 11 persons cannot do. The difference was clear from the moment I sent “can you help me get back my husband?” to his email: (dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com).
I am happy for not being the depressed & lost woman I used to be before I met a great healer. Words cannot express my appreciation to Dr. Wakina Love Temple.

+1
-1
-1
Cierra Watson posted on

How To Get Your Ex-Lover Back Fast Contact: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,Is certainly the best spell caster online, and his result is 100% guarantee. Thanks to Dr.Unity for bring back my Ex boyfriend after he left me for another Girl. My Names is Cierra Watson from UK a banker by Profession, After being in relationship with Brown for 3 years, he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back, but all was in vain. I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that don't believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I search for real and powerful spell caster and i came across a website that suggested that Dr.Unity can help get ex back fast and stop a divorce or breakup and so on , So I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a (return Love spell) for me. 28 hours later, my boyfriend( Brown )came back to me crying and begging for my forgiveness. Today I'm so happy to recommend this great spell caster to anyone that truly needs an urgent solution to his or her broken relationships and marriage. Simply contact the great "Dr.Unity" If you have any problem contact him and i guarantee you that he will help you., email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,
you can also visit his website:https://urgentspell.blogspot.com.

+1
-2
-1