ESC to request that SEAS deans waive cost of software fees

The Engineering Student Council will request to waive the fees that School of Engineering and Applied Science students have to pay for software used in required classes.

Newly elected ESC President Neha Jain, SEAS ’17, will send the request to SEAS Dean Mary Boyce, Vice Dean of Undergraduate Programs Barclay Morrison, and Senior Vice Dean for Academic Programs Soulaymane Kachani next week, along with a list compiled by the council of softwares used in classes like Data Structures, Computer Graphics and Design and General Chemistry, which have fees ranging from $50 to $90.

Though SEAS and Columbia College students receiving financial aid will have their course fees waived for film, visual arts, creative writing, laboratory, and language courses in the 2016-17 academic year, the council felt software fees still placed an undue burden on SEAS students.

“There are a lot of different classes that we have to take where there's some fee for a software,” Jain said at the council’s Monday meeting. “These costs can be prohibitive to our low-income students, basically. The deans recently covered lab fees, but they didn't realize that these additional fees are also important.”

Council members also gave updates on upcoming events at the meeting.

ESC Vice President for Policy Sidney Perkins, SEAS ’17, announced that the Aerospace Showcase, a panel and networking event with aerospace companies, has been postponed until the fall due to a lack of participating companies.

ESC Vice President for Student Life Piyushi Bishnoi, SEAS ’17, gave details on the upcoming SEAS the Day event. It will take place on May 2 from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. on the Math Lawn and will be beach-themed.

stephanie.frescas@columbiaspectator.com | @ColumbiaSpec