Barnard drops standardized writing, SAT Subject Test requirements

Barnard will no longer require SAT Subject Tests or SAT/ACT essay scores for its applications.

The changes come shortly after Columbia announced earlier this month that it would also be dropping Subject Test and SAT/ACT written score requirements.

According to Barnard’s admissions website, applicants for the fall of 2017 will not have to submit scores for the writing portions of the ACT or the redesigned SAT, which launched in March. Unlike those applying to Columbia, Barnard applicants submitting SAT scores from the previous version of the test must still submit the entire score, including the writing component.

Though Barnard’s admissions office will not require SAT Subject Tests, the college will consider scores as supplementary application materials if submitted.

International students whose primary language is not English or have not studied at a school primarily taught in English for more than four consecutive years will still need to submit TOEFL/IELTS scores in addition to the new SAT/ACT requirements.

Amanda Frame / Senior Staff Designer

Of all the Seven Sisters, Barnard’s new admissions policy is the closest to that of Vassar, which also doesn’t require subject tests or writing scores.

Wellesley still requires the SAT or ACT with writing and SAT Subject Tests from all applicants, whereas Mount Holyoke does not require either SAT or ACT scores except for home schooled applicants, for whom the SAT is mandatory.

Smith and Bryn Mawr are exam-optional for U.S. citizens and permanent residents, but international applicants whose primary language or language of academic instruction is not English, must submit scores from both the  SAT/ACT and TOEFL/IELTS.

ainsley.bandrowski@columbiaspectator.com | @ACBandrowski

I can say, that I do really love such projects, when already successful and well-known people help children to succeed in the field where they are so good. I wish I could be a participant of that when I was a child. I really liked different writing works and now my work is https://prowriterscenter.com/ what is just perfect. Because I enjoy being the part of this team, they're real professionals as for me.

+1
0
-1