News | Academics

Barnard to not institute college-wide class cancellation following Trump victory

Barnard will not institute a college-wide class cancellation on Wednesday due to the presidential election of Donald Trump, according to an email sent to students by Barnard President Debora Spar and Dean of the College Avis Hinkson.

Students had begun circulating a petition on Tuesday night calling for Barnard to cancel classes in wake of Trump’s victory. The petition had garnered over 500 signatures in the first hour of its creation, and has received over 850 responses as of press time.

Barnard’s Student Government Association had also contacted Hinkson on Tuesday night asking that the college consider an extension on midterm examinations.

[RELATED: After Trump victory, some professors move to postpone midterms]

Though class will not be cancelled, Spar and Hinkson said that individual classes, assignments, and exam due dates and deadlines would be at the discretion of individual faculty members.

“The Barnard faculty is well aware that you may be struggling, and they are here for you,” they wrote.

Read the email in full below.

Dear Barnard Students,

On this post-election day, after a long and complex night, we write to remind us all that we are one community. For many of you, this may well have been your first time voting in any election, and fulfilling that civic duty is always something to celebrate, no matter how you cast that vote.  And although it is our viewpoints as individuals that make this nation great, this is an important time to come together to share our thoughts and experiences.

While we understand that the events of the last days and hours may have affected you deeply, and may bring about heightened emotions, we have decided not to institute a College-wide cancellation of classes. We are, however, leaving decisions regarding individual classes, exams, and assignments to the discretion of our faculty. The Barnard faculty is well aware that you may be struggling, and they are here for you.

Of course, if you are in need of additional support, please do not hesitate to reach out. The staff members in the Furman Counseling Center (barnard.edu/counsel, 212-854-2092), and advisors in the Dean of Studies Office (barnard.edu/dos, 212-854-2024) are available.   

We also want to remind you once again to join us this afternoon for a post-election panel and community discussion with members of our faculty at 4:15 p.m. in Altschul 202. Provost Bell, along with Prof. Belinda Archibong (Economics), Prof. Kim Johnson (Political Science), Prof. Kate Krimmel (Political Science), and Prof. Michael Miller (Political Science), will open the discussion with a panel presentation.

We look forward to hearing your voices, harnessing our collective energy and strength, and working together to help all the members of our community -- and our country -- promote a greater understanding.

Sincerely,

President Spar

Dean Hinkson