Barnard presidential search committee to hold listening sessions at end of month

The Barnard presidential search committee will be holding listening sessions for students, faculty, staff, alumni, and parents on Jan. 31, the committee announced in an email to the Barnard community today.

The sessions are the first step in the presidential search process to find a replacement for Debora Spar, who will be leaving to become CEO and president of Lincoln Center in March. Chief Operating Officer Rob Goldberg will act as the interim president until the search is complete.

According to the email—sent by co-chairs of the committee, Vice Chair of the Board of Trustees Cheryl Glicker Milstein, BC ’82 and trustee Ina Drew—the sessions will be open forums for members of the community to discuss important issues facing the college and the next president as the committee begins its search.

The board is hoping to have the next president in place by September, Chair of the Board of Trustees Jolyne Caruso-FitzGerald, BC ’81, announced last month.

Read the email in full below.

Dear Members of the Barnard Community: 

As the Presidential Search Committee begins its work to identify and recruit Barnard’s next president, we are eager to hear from members of the community about their hopes and aspirations for the College and its new leader. To that end, members of the search committee and our search firm will convene on campus later this month to hold a series of meetings with faculty, students, staff, alumnae and parents. 

Although we welcome any and all input, we are particularly eager to understand the community’s views on the following topics:

• What are the challenges and opportunities facing the College today and over the likely term of the next president?

• What should the top priorities be for the next president?

• Given the above, what credentials, experience sets, and personal characteristics should we be seeking in candidates?

• Are there any specific individuals you would like to nominate? 

The schedule for the open forums is listed below and we look forward to your participation.  If, for some reason, you are unable to attend your session and/or would prefer to keep your comment private, please feel free to send an email to barnardpresident@spencerstuart.com.  

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

All Sessions will take place in the Event Oval, Diana Center.

10:00 - 11:15 a.m. EST:  Parent Webinar (Instructions to follow)

12:30 – 1:45 p.m.:  Staff Open Forum (Box lunch provided)

2:30 – 3:45 p.m.: Faculty Open Forum

4:00 – 5:15 p.m.: Student Open Forum
5:30 – 6:45 p.m.:  Alumnae Open Forum & Webinar (Instructions to follow)

We look forward to seeing you on the 31st.

Ina Drew, P ’13

Cheryl Milstein ’82, P ’14

Co-Chairs

jessica.spitz@columbiaspectator.com | @jjspitz1