A&E

Columbia alum, who played with John Lennon and Yoko Ono, taught law, dies at 66

Dennis Greene, CC '71 and a movie studio executive, founding member of doo-wop group Sha Na Na, and law professor, died last Saturday.

Sha Na Na was formed during Greene's time at Columbia—they began to sing as part of the long-established a cappella group the Kingsmen. Sha Na Na began to perform in 1969, and played at the iconic Woodstock Festival.

They were one of just four bands invited by John Lennon and Yoko Ono to perform with them at a benefit concert at Madison Square Garden. From 1977 to 1982, Sha Na Na had its own syndicated TV show, which was one of the most watched programs in syndication. Sha Na Na also appeared in the movie "Grease" and is credited on several songs on its soundtrack.

Greene received his B.A. from Columbia in 1971. After he left Sha Na Na, he pursued an M.A. at Harvard University, and then graduated from Yale Law School in 1987. He became president at Lenox/Greene Films. Afterward, he taught at the University of Oregon and Florida A&M University, and was a visiting professor at other institutions. At the time of his death, he was the professor of law at the University of Dayton School of Law.