Hit up these NYC rooftop restaurants before summer ends

Are you among the chosen few whose dorm window features the Manhattan skyline? If so, #blessed. Or are you the unlucky soul who has to peer into the depths of hell, aka the McBain shaft, when you wake up each morning?

No matter which category you fall under, everyone knows the best views are from the roof. Take advantage of the last few weeks of this sweet (and sweaty) heat while dining at one of Manhattan’s many rooftop restaurants.

To make things easier, we’ve compiled a list of the best and brightest rooftop restaurants in NYC. Bon appétit!

Gallow Green

Located in Chelsea atop the McKittrick Hotel, this restaurant more closely resembles the Garden of Eden than a spot for fine dining.

As the lights go down in the city, fairy lights wound into a forest of trees blink to life, transforming the restaurant entirely.

Although the prices are a little steep, the Sleep No More cocktail, named after the interactive theater production based on Macbeth in the lower levels, is worth every cent.

So if you’re in the mood to awaken your inner romantic—or perhaps romance a special someone—this is the place to be.

Directions here.

Gallow Green.png

@hey.steven / via Instagram

Sabbia at Eataly

Any fan of Italian food has surely ventured to Eataly, the Italian food market opposite the Flatiron Building. However, many people don’t know about Sabbia—the rooftop restaurant positioned comfortably on Eataly’s 14th floor.

Sabbia’s rooftop space changes seasonally. This summer, Sabbia’s decor reflected that of southern Italy. But when the first gust of winter blows, the rooftop morphs into La Birreria, a hotspot for craft beer.

Come here for delicious seafood with a side of Italian charm. Slurp on some oysters to begin, and follow up with the Fusilli Allo Scoglio if squid is your thing.

Directions here.

@dgold911 / via Instagram

Cantina Rooftop

If you’re in the mood for modern Mexican cuisine, margaritas galore, and dancing into the wee hours of the night, make a move to Cantina Rooftop.

The menu has everything from your standard Mexican fare to more experimental options. Don’t be afraid to step outside your comfort zone—the oxtail tacos are to die for.

Directions here.

@cassandrablaize / via Instagram

The Loopy Doopy Rooftop Bar

Make your way to the 16th story of Conrad New York to sip on unique cocktails and sample delicious smaller fare.

The Loopy Doopy Rooftop Bar is famous for their Prosecco & Ice Pop cocktails, otherwise known as an Instagram in a glass.

The most popular flavor is a Strawberry Lemonade People’s Pop ice pop, topped with chilled prosecco or rosé from their tap*.

It’s only open while the weather permits, so beeline here before colder winds blow our way!

*Don’t see this on the menu? Just request a prosecco or rosé topped with your choice of a People’s pop.

Directions here.

Loopy Doopy.png

@torotoro_xx / via Instagram

Regardless of whether you fancy a fiesta or are fiending for an Italian feast, soak in the last few rays of sun while you soak up some delicious food and drink.

Share your fave rooftop hangouts. Comment down below, Facebook message us, Tweet us, or Snapchat us @CUspectrum.

Stephanie Sloves is a sophomore at Columbia College and a Spectrum staff writer. She enjoys taking in the views from these restaurants before she crawls back into her shafted McBain room #notblessed. You can reach her at