Free or cheap music, museum, and movie tickets

It’s the beginning of a brand new semester. The days are long; you’ve got goals as lofty as Riverside Church; your A/C is your only true BFF.

Best of all, though, it’s still early enough in September that you haven’t become too snug/busy to leave Morningside Heights.

In celebration of completing your first week of classes, why not take a trip off campus? Make full use of your CUID or BCID at these spots...

Free: Morgan Museum

225 Madison Avenue at 36th Street (Take the 1 to Penn Station. Walk from 6th Avenue to Madison, and up to 34th. Directions here.)

@themorganlibrary / via Instagram

Catch the Morgan’s Rembrandt exhibit for free with your student ID before it closes on Sept. 18. Also at the Morgan: Einstein, Rome and the Romantics, and Hans Memling.

Free: Museum of the City of New York

1220 Fifth Avenue at 103rd Street (Take the M4 from Broadway at 116th. Directions here.)

@kelseyrahn / via Instagram

Check out Activist New York, Picturing Prestige: New York Portraits, 1700-1860, and Roz Chast: Cartoon Memoirs (he’s had 1,200 cartoons published in the New Yorker). It’s all free with your CUID.

$8-$11: Movie discounts from the TIC

Ticket Information Center (TIC) in Lerner Lobby

Visit the TIC from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday to Saturday to get discounted movie vouchers. Some restrictions apply at certain theaters. More info here.

Participating theaters include...

• AMC Loews Theaters
  • Angelika/City Cinemas
  • Bow Tie Cinemas
  • Regal Cinemas/United Artists/Edwards

Vouchers offer prices between $8 and $11. Right now you can see Tom Hanks pay homage to Capt. Sully Sullenberger (“Sully”), Michael Fassbender and Alicia Vikander fall in love (*steamy,  I know*) in “The Light Between Oceans”, and a film depiction of the Obamas’ first date (“Southside with You”).

Free: 4x4 Baroque Music Festival

75 Broadway (Take the 1 to Rector Street Directions here.)

@trinitywallstreet / via Instagram

Catch an hour-long concert in Trinity Church, Wall Street. Today at 7 p.m., check out Handel’s “Apollo and Daphne”, or go on Saturday at 7 p.m. for Bach’s “Heaven and Earth”. Make your Music Hum prof proud. Free admission.

$22: Webster Hall

125th East 11th St. (Take the 1 to Times Sq and transfer to the N,Q, or R. Get off at 8th Street. Directions here.)

@livvperez / via Instagram

See the alt rock band Of Montreal at Webster Hall for $22 on Friday at 7 p.m. Doors open at 6 p.m.

Free: New York Public Library

5th Avenue at 42nd Street. (Take the 1 to Times Sq. Directions here.)

@allthingsfabulousandclassy / via Instagram

Alexander Hamilton: Striver, Statesman, Scoundrel is today and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Don’t throw away your shot to learn more about this CU alum. Spectrum recommends playing the Hamilton soundtrack and pretending to be Lin-Manuel.

Do yourself a favor and get outside of the bubble this weekend. You’ll be spending way too much time in MoHi very soon, after all… Winter is coming.

Know any other ID discounts worth traveling outside the MoHi bubble for? Comment down below, Facebook message us, Tweet us, or Snapchat us @CUspectrum.

Marisa Brown is a Barnard senior and a Spectrum staff writer. She has visited The Morgan four times, twice to see the Alice In Wonderland Exhibition. Reach her at

All gifs via