Wake Up Call: Why was Alma cradling a severed head? (10/12)

96

*/

Why did that Butler statue never materialize?

View this email in your browser

@rbrtvgt / via Instagram
Your 10/12 Wake Up Call

Cuffing season is upon us. Don’t know what that is? Read on...

Today's top stories

Sparring back and forth: Barnard’s contingent faculty members refuted some of the claims D-Spar and Pro-Bell made in their email last week.

Spar on a gendered election: D-Spar discussed the election during her fireside chat last night, emphasizing students’ obligation to vote, and noting that “Partisanship aside, it’s depressing how big a role her [Hillary's] gender has played.” 

Complaining about more than one election: The Elections Board has once again become a target of criticism for Columbia College Student Council.

Columbia football’s savior: First-year Oren Milstein (not to be confused with Oren’s Daily Roast) celebrates the Lions’ first win of the season over Wagner and dishes on how he first became a kicker.

Why Alma cradled a severed head: The School of the Arts got creative on Low Steps yesterday with the Big Draw. But what exactly was that?

Being “that kid” in class: Columnist Ian Hewitt (not to be confused with Hewitt Dining Hall) answers the big academic question we all have: What is it like being the kid who always raises their hand and asks questions?

Incarcerated, then matriculated: A formerly incarcerated GS student discusses second chances and breaking stigmas in this op-ed.

Why women need climate justice: Divest Barnard reflects on the origin of Barnard’s “bold, beautiful” identity and explains why climate justice is necessary to achieve justice for women in this op-ed.

Remember the statue? It caused quite a controversy on campus, but what really happened to it? We'll tell you the real reason, but we'll also tell you more exciting, Halloween-themed conspiracy theories...

Looking for love: Cuffing season is dawning again, and you’re going to need a creative date idea for your new beau. Why not a When Harry Met Sally walking tour? “How romantic! I can’t believe you planned this all!” they’ll exclaim.

Pro tip of the day

Hurry! Before it gets cold: MoHi, Harlem, and the UWS have great ice cream spots. New York has increasingly chilly weather. Go, go, go—there’s no time to lose.

Contest of the week

PSLs anyone? Win a Starbucks gift card by Snapchatting @CUspectrum your #fallaesthetics. (Ignore what we said about PSLs being too basic up there^^)

-->
Today's events and opportunities

Narratives of Revolutionary Latinas
8 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the Diana Center

Microsoft Freshmen and Sophomore Program Info Session
4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. in the CS Lounge (that’s on Mudd 4F)

Biomedical Engineering Open House and Research Showcase
5 p.m. to 7 p.m. in Mudd 382

Mid-Day Music at Columbia Featuring Dean Deng on Piano
12 p.m. to 1 p.m. in Dodge 618

See your event in the Wake Up Call by Facebook messaging Spectrum.

Snapchat of the day

CAVA gets fanmail? *Leaves Spec to join Emergency Medical Services...still doesn’t get fanmail.* :’(

Get in the Wake Up Call

• Tag us on Instagram @CUspectrum to submit your Instas for header images.
  • Message us on Facebook with links to your events or opportunities.
  • Snapchat us @CUspectrum for Snapchats of the day.
Subscribe to get the Wake Up Call in your inbox in the actual break of day-esque morning!