City

The top 5 NYC events to hit up this Halloween

Move over Christmas, Halloween is coming to town (just ask Morton Williams).

While there are loads of Halloween events throughout the city, these are some that you absolutely cannot miss (and a thousand Stranger Things-themed parties that you could).

Halloween Dog Parade Oct. 22 from noon to 3 p.m. in Tompkins Square Park for free

Of all people, you know who I am… who the world needs me to be. I’m Wonder Woman.” — Wonder Woman.”
@istolethetv / via Flickr

It’s the largest dog costume party in the world. Hundreds of dogs pitter-patter into Tompkins forcibly dressed as Superman, taxicabs, the Pope—who knows? We might even make puppies great again this year… :\ There’s an actual runway contest (although sadly Tim Gunn won’t be judging… this year).

After the Best in Show is announced and the winning pup makes its acceptance speech, put your paws together for the parade of pooches. This week’s contest for the cutest animals will end on Thursday. That being said, we still adore cute snaps of puppies. Who knows? Another prize might be in store...

Horror on the Hudson: Halloween Yacht Party Oct. 28 at 9 p.m. at Pier 16 for $34.49

The party boat leaves the pier at 9:45 p.m. and is filled to the brim with a bar and a DJ until midnight. As you sail away, you’ll experience the touristy sights of the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, and Brooklyn Bridge.

Don’t fret once you arrive back at the pier. More music is in store, for the after-party will be just beginning at the Highline Ballroom (tickets here). While the over-21s are having a lit time downtown, I guess if you’re under 21, you’ll just have to suffer through another Beta party this time.

Lincoln Center Trick-or-Treat Oct. 29 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Lincoln Center for free

You’re never too old for trick-or-treating. Five-year-olds are screaming around Hearst Plaza all in pursuit of the same goal: candy. However, you can indulge, too. You might get some weird glances, but embrace your inner child and get some treats for yourself. (ATTACK THE CHILDREN.)

Not only is there trick-or-treating that helps satiate your inner sweet tooth, but there are also plenty more activities to choose from in the square. From 11 a.m. to 1 p.m, there are crafts, stilt walkers, and performances from Jazz at Lincoln Center.

Strutting on down to get some candy. Village Halloween Parade Oct. 31 at 7 p.m. in the West Village for free

Tens of thousands (this is not a hyperbole) of extravagantly costumed specimens will start the procession on Spring Street, march up Sixth Avenue, and finish at 16th Street. Here’s the route so you can watch from the sidelines along the way …

It’s New York City, so you know you’ll see plenty of disturbing costumes—ones that could give you a bigger nightmare than the costumes on Elm Street. Bleecker and 14th Streets will be the most crowded so avoid those. Just make sure you get there extremely early to beat the hellish crowds or else they will trample you.

Stranger Things Dance & Costume Party Oct. 29 and Oct. 30 at 4 p.m. at Videology Bar & Cinema for $15

You thought I wouldn’t mention Stranger Things parties. You thought I wasn’t that basic ... Anyways, I handpicked this particular gathering because:

1. For $15 you get a DJ, specialty cocktails, and a themed goody bag if you’re one of the first 100 people to arrive.

2. It might be a long trek to Williamsburg, but this bar has a great vibe. It’s small, quaint, and has a very hipster/feng shui atmosphere.

3. You get Wafels and Dinges (i.e. food from that wonderful waffle truck that visits 115th Street).

When you realize you could’ve been getting Wafels and Dinges instead of Eggos.

Where are you planning on spending Halloween? Comment down below, tweet us, or Snapchat us @CUspectrum.

Tevis Robinson is a Columbia College first-year and trainee Spectrum staff writer. He’s never owned a dog, but he is still going to the dog parade so his heart can actually melt. Reach him at tevis.robinson@columbiaspectator.com.

All gifs via giphy.com.