Wake Up Call: Is Columbia an academic Walmart? (10/17)

96

*/

As if we needed ANOTHER Columbia stickers app...

View this email in your browser

@chantelwoooo / via Instagram
Your 10/17 Wake Up Call

There’s stargazing on Low tonight.

Today's top stories

You’re braver than you think: Halloween creepin’ you out a little? If you deal with these horrors on a daily basis, you actually have nothing to be afraid of when it comes to this spoooky season.

Not another Columbia emoji app: CUStickers launched last month, but now there’s C-moji on the block. What’s the difference, and why should you care?

Food for fighting: CCSC is partnering with other councils and FLIP to form a food insecurity task force and petition campus services to expand the emergency meal fund.

Final fall: Shawn Hadavi nearly does the impossible in men’s tennis before falling in the singles final at a top collegiate tournament.

Election demands: Why you need to vote and condemn the Donald, according to the CU Dems.

Fishbowl theater: KCST’s “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead” took a gendered viewpoint on the struggles and failures controlling fate in this classic Hamlet spin-off.

Breaking records: Women’s soccer conquers Princeton, getting the team off to its best-ever start in Ivy play.

Escaping MoHi: Columnist Patricia Pou Jové argues how encouraging students to burst out of the MoHi bubble isn’t as easy when you’re on a tight budget.

Volleyball push: The volleyball team is staying in Ivy title race, but will they still be around after this coming weekend’s split with Harvard and Dartmouth?

Pro tip of the day

Got the plague? Trying to beat off the flu but also on a budget? We compared Walgreen’s, Duane Reade, and Rite Aid’s top ten cold ’n flu products’ prices that’ll leave you less sick and less poor.

This week's contest

MoHi is bustling with cute animals, whether they’re pets, pigeons, or subway rats. Take yourself on an incentivized study break during the midterms crunch. Snap us a pic of a cute animal @CUspectrum. We’ll be giving the snapper of the most adorable beast a $10 Amazon gift card.

Today's events and opportunities

See your event in the Wake Up Call by Facebook messaging Spectrum.

Spectator's looking for designers!

Product designers are responsible for graphic design behind our website, apps, and digital features. They help us define the Spectator user experience, thinking about the manner in which Columbians interacts with our content and deciding on the best way to showcase our work—both journalistic and not.

Designers will be assigned to a Spectator product (such as The Shaft) for which they will create mockups and communicate with our tech teams to see their work come to life. No coding required, but some graphic design or artistic background is highly encouraged.

Snapchat of the day

#UnleashYourInnerDrumBoy

Get in the Wake Up Call

• Tag us on Instagram @CUspectrum to submit your Instas for header images.
  • Message us on Facebook with links to your events or opportunities.
  • Snapchat us @CUspectrum for Snapchats of the day.