Wake Up Call: Finally find out what your RA thinks of you (10/18)

96

*/

Learn data for the 21st century... even if you don't data.

View this email in your browser

@selsbree / via Instagram
Your 10/18 Wake Up Call

Fix your damn résumé.

Today's top stories

The privilege of “white-passing:” A mixed-race student considers the complications arising from being an arguably white-passing person of color in this op-ed.

You don’t know Jack (O’lanterns): How the hell does pumpkin carving even work? Valiant Victoria the Spectrum trainee (and friends) took a stab (ha!) at it and kinda almost everything went wrong.

Are you data-ble? Whether you’re techie or artsy, this spring you’ll be able to enroll in a class that teaches students all about data for the 21st century.

Odious ODS? When a professor says Barnard’s Office of Disabilities Services “system is f*cking stupid,” something’s up. A Barnard student who receives accommodations from ODS writes about the problems with its system.

Art spike: What does the increase in privately owned museums in China mean for art and for us?

Got RA beef? Your RA may just hate you with a passion that stokes the fires of hell. Then again, how would you know? Well, you could take this quiz… (RAs: send this to your rezzies so they take the hint.)

Mapping your college life: Columnist Benjamin DuBow muses on the benefits of wandering through college and compares his college journey to the haphazardly labeled streets of Lower Manhattan.

Pro tip of the day

Explore NYC film set style: Push midterms stress aside, break out of the MoHi bubble, and go on a You’ve Got Mail film set tour. Yes, this is the second Nora Ephron NYC tour.

This week's contest

MoHi is bustling with cute animals, whether they’re pets, pigeons, or subway rats. Take yourself on an incentivized study break during the midterms crunch. Snap us a pic of a cute animal @CUspectrum. We’ll be giving the snapper of the most adorable beast a $10 Amazon gift card.

Today's events and opportunities

See your event in the Wake Up Call by Facebook messaging Spectrum.

Spectator's looking for designers!

Product designers are responsible for graphic design behind our website, apps, and digital features. They help us define the Spectator user experience, thinking about the manner in which Columbians interacts with our content and deciding on the best way to showcase our work—both journalistic and not.

Designers will be assigned to a Spectator product (such as The Shaft) for which they will create mockups and communicate with our tech teams to see their work come to life. No coding required, but some graphic design or artistic background is highly encouraged.

Snapchat of the day

And people say that the Core isn't relatable.

Get in the Wake Up Call

• Tag us on Instagram @CUspectrum to submit your Instas for header images.
  • Message us on Facebook with links to your events or opportunities.
  • Snapchat us @CUspectrum for Snapchats of the day.
Don't miss a moment of campus news. Subscribe to the Wake Up Call.