Wake Up Call: Are DSpar’s op-ed’s beauty standards misconstrued? (10/19)

96

*/

Need a tutor ASAP? We've got you covered.

View this email in your browser

@annabeshlian / via Instagram
Your 10/19 Wake Up Call

Are you watching the third presidential debate tonight?

Today's top stories

Cliques @ CU: In this installment of “Waking Dreams,” columnist Luciana Siracusano discusses why it’s OK not to have that one “thing” which defines a college experience.

Dogs of MoHi: Spectrum interviewed some of MoHi’s cutest residents, and sometimes their owners too. Recognize any of these furry fellas?

Pro-unionization profs: Professor Bruce Robbins from the Department of English and Comparative Literature expresses his support for a graduate workers’ union, and explains why he’s against the law firm Columbia has hired to represent them.

Picked on by Penn: Defensive back Landon Baty got burned in Saturday’s loss to Ivy League rival UPenn.

Aging and my beauty standard: In response to Barnard President Spar’s controversial New York Times op-ed, this master’s student argues that beauty standards are not inclusive of a black woman’s experience.

More support, more attention: SGA will now require class council VPs to serve as members of the transfer, international, and commuter students interests committee.

Free food! Spec’s Free Food Expo is hitting Butler lawns this Friday, but what’s actually cookin’? Get a lil’ more info on each of the restaurants so you know where to hit up first!

Dancing through life: This past week, an A&E trainee checked out Barnard’s Performing Tradition & Innovation family showcase.

Columbia couture: Highlights and recaps from Alpha Chi Omega’s annual Runway Warriors show.

Making Manhattanville: Columnist Elena Burger takes a look back in time via Spec’s archives and uncovers some forgotten facts about Columbia’s Manhattanville expansion

Halloween in the city: You’re in New York. Don’t spend Halloween alone with your $3 Chipotle bowl and sad attempt at a costume. We’ve lined up five fave events to hit up so you make the most of this spooky season.

Pro tip of the day

Failing and flailing for a tutor? If your midterm grades are subpar and you’re FREAKING THE HELL OUT ABOUT YOUR COLLEGE EXISTENCE, don’t worry. Getting a tutor isn’t that hard, and we’re going to show you how to do it.

This week's contest

MoHi is bustling with cute animals, whether they’re pets, pigeons, or subway rats. Take yourself on an incentivized study break during the midterms crunch. Snap us a pic of a cute animal @CUspectrum. We’ll be giving the snapper of the most adorable beast a $10 Amazon gift card.

Today's events and opportunities

See your event in the Wake Up Call by Facebook messaging Spectrum.

Spectator's looking for designers!

Product designers are responsible for graphic design behind our website, apps, and digital features. They help us define the Spectator user experience, thinking about the manner in which Columbians interacts with our content and deciding on the best way to showcase our work—both journalistic and not.

Designers will be assigned to a Spectator product (such as The Shaft) for which they will create mockups and communicate with our tech teams to see their work come to life. No coding required, but some graphic design or artistic background is highly encouraged.

Snapchat of the day

“Columbia Spectator!
THIRD FLOOR!
BALLOONS!”

Sidenote: Mike is very proud because it took him and Anurak 40 minutes to put this bad boy up. (Our last one was rusty and ugly af.)

Get in the Wake Up Call

• Tag us on Instagram @CUspectrum to submit your Instas for header images.
  • Message us on Facebook with links to your events or opportunities.
  • Snapchat us @CUspectrum for Snapchats of the day.