How the f*ck do you eat a pumpkin in your dorm?

Although the weather this week may have you flashing back to the sweaty days of August, autumn is well underway here in NYC.

While you may already be feeling that fall aesthetic with your dorm decorations, sweater weather, and pumpkin spice lattes (it’s ok, we won’t judge you), one cannot truly celebrate autumn without baking some pumpkin-themed treats.

While dorm living has its perks, finding adequate cooking spaces is usually not one of them. Thankfully for you, Spectrum has compiled a list of pumpkin recipes that’ll be easy to make without leaving your dorm. All these recipes have six ingredients or fewer which can easily be stolen from the dining halls, and all appliances can be found in your room or floor lounges. Now, there’s no excuse for you to spend $6 on a pumpkin muffin from Westside.

Pumpkin pie truffles

5 ingredients: 1 bag Golden Oreos (ground), 6 oz. cream cheese (softened), ½ cup pumpkin puree, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, 16 oz. white chocolate (melted, for coating)

3 materials: Microwave, freezer, mixing bowl

One of the easiest treats to make, these just involve mixing all the ingredients together (except the white chocolate). Let them chill for 30 minutes, then roll them into balls and freeze them for another 30 minutes. To be extra *fancy*, dip them in the chocolate (if there’s any left that you haven’t snacked on). These can literally be done faster than your laundry.

Rating:

Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 7.22.24 pm.png @srasfood / via Instagram Mug pumpkin pie

6 ingredients: ¾ cup pumpkin puree, ¼ cup milk, 1 egg yolk, ¼ cup sugar, ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon), ½ teaspoon vanilla extract

2 materials: Microwave, mixing bowl

Jumping on the mug dessert trend, this recipe only takes five minutes. (You’ve probably spent longer than that trying to decide if you should do the Lit Hum reading or rely on your good pal Sparknotes.) Mix the ingredients together, divide evenly into two mugs, microwave for two to three minutes (until it looks firm) and *viola*, a pumpkin pie.

Rating:

Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 7.24.15 pm.png @fagoramerica / via Instagram 5-Ingredient pumpkin muffins

5 ingredients: 1 package yellow cake mix, 1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon ground cloves

2 materials: Oven, muffin tin/cookie sheet/cake pan

A delicious and easy way to get your pumpkin fix.* Mix regular cake mix with all the above-mentioned autumnal trimmings and bake at 350℉ for around 20 minutes. If you don’t have a muffin tin, these taste just as good made into cookies, or even a cake. For a sweet addition, add chocolate chips to the batter.

*These come with personal recommendations from my roommates and me. We made these as cookies one night, and our lives were actually changed.

Rating:

Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 7.35.00 pm.png @kelsey_thefarmersdaughter / via Instagram Healthy pumpkin pie dip

6 ingredients: ¾ cup pumpkin puree, 5 oz. neufchatel cheese (or fat-free cream cheese), 4 packets nectresse (or other zero calorie sweetener), ¾ teaspoon cinnamon, ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg, dash of ginger

2 materials: Bowl, mixer (recommended)

Though this recipe calls for the ingredients to be blended with an electric mixer, we think a spoon and your post-midterm rage should do the trick. Mix everything until combined and fluffy. Bonus: this recipe had the word “healthy” in its name, so feel free to eat it in generous spoonfuls.

Rating:

Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 7.47.46 pm.png @vana_lo / via Instagram Pumpkin martini

6 ingredients: 1 tablespoon sugar, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, 3 tablespoons vanilla vodka, 2 tablespoons half and half, 1 tablespoon pumpkin puree, 1 tablespoon maple syrup

1 material: Martini shaker (recommended)

For those Columbians of legal drinking age who want to feel extra *fancy*, mix up a quick drink with a seasonal twist. Mix the sugar and cinnamon on a plate and use it to coat the wet rim of a martini glass. Fill a shaker with ice and add the vodka, half and half, pumpkin puree, and maple syrup. Shake well, strain into glass. Your taste buds will thank you.

Rating:

Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 7.59.25 pm.png @girlwithherdogs / via Instagram Pumpkin pie breakfast oats

5 ingredients: ¾ cup vanilla unsweetened Greek yogurt, ¼ cup pumpkin puree, ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, ¼ cup whole oats, 1 teaspoon honey (more if you want it sweeter)

Materials: None!

It doesn’t take a hipster or a health junkie to enjoy a nice jar of overnight oats. While the reality may be that you make this recipe in a reused plastic cup or the remnants of an old food jar instead of a vintage mason jar, it’s bound to be just as good. Just throw the ingredients together and refrigerate overnight. We promise your future self will thank you as your run to your 8:40.

Rating:

Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 8.02.18 PM.png @mmmmariliis / via Instagram Pumpkin protein bars

7 ingredients: 1 cup rolled oats, 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon vanilla powder, 2 tablespoons Whey Protein Isolate, ½ cup pumpkin puree, ½ cup smooth peanut butter, pinch of sea salt

2 materials: Freezer, baking tray

I kind of lied when I said all of these would only have six ingredients, but salt doesn’t really count. Perfect for the post-Dodge workout snack (or any snack, really), these bars just need to be mixed all together, poured into a pan, and and chilled for 15 minutes in the freezer, then they’re ready to enjoy.

Rating:

Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 8.04.58 PM.png @fitnfreelife / via Instagram
No matter how gross your dorm is, you can definitely get into the autumn spirit. Now go drown your midterm sorrows in baked goods.

Got any other ~fall foods~ to make in your dorm? Comment below or tweet us at @CUspectrum.

Mariella Evangelista is a first-year and a trainee Spectrum staff writer. She forgot that one needs a can opener to open a can of pumpkin purée and decided to use a bread knife and her fist when making those cookies. That was the moment she considered herself a true college student. Reach her at mariella.evangelista@columbiaspectator.com.