Wake Up Call: Why did Spec get sent a box of condoms and confetti? (10/27)

96

*/

Columbia raised HOW much money this Giving Day?

View this email in your browser

@helenakyuzizi / via Instagram
Your 10/27 Wake Up Call

Are you in for a spooky weekend?

Today's top stories

Spec overloaded with condoms: Two mysterious boxes loaded with statistics, Trojan condoms, and confetti were raided and giggled at by sexually inactive, dorky Spec staff.

Divestment progress? Barnard’s Presidential Task Force to Examine Divestment may recommend that Barnard maintain the status quo, invest in a sustainability fund, divest from coal, divest from fossil fuel companies that deny climate science, or divest from all fossil fuel companies.

Female powerhouses: Whether or not you’re hitting up the Columbia Women’s Leadership Conference this Friday, you better get familiar with the names of these female moguls.

Giving Day: The University raises much $$ in their annual fundraiser.

Storming the national tennis center: How one first-year tennis player, Jackie Tang, is leading the way for a strong class of 2020.

Feast or famine? Why Columbia football’s otherwise dominant defense can be prone to the big play.

We didn’t start the fire: After reflecting on the Obama Era, six students cite a classic Billy Joel tune as the song which best encapsulates this presidential election.

Academic nitpicking: Ever overanalyzed ‘til it’s ugly and gross? Ian Hewitt discusses just that in his latest opinion column.

Collegiate invisibility cloak: Despite attending lectures, panels, and events at Columbia on a regular basis, this NYU student constantly reflects on his “invisible student” identity.

Horror or humor? In “Baby with the Bathwater,” CU Players questions whether it’s okay to laugh at abuse and sexual assault.

Wrong road to Rhodes: In the last five years, Harvard has won 29 Rhodes Scholarships. Columbia has only won two. Where are we screwing up?

Lonely campus Thanksgiving? Not anymore: Sign ups for John Jay’s Thanksgiving dinner open today! For all those forlorn by their ‘rents this break, make sure to register early, lest you want all the turkeys to be taken.

Balancing act: Why Alice Song left the varsity women’s tennis team.

Pro tip of the day

Onward! To the polls! There’s no excuse for not voting, especially when you have this handy-dandy guide at your disposal.

This week's contest

The prize: A trick-or-treat goodie bag containing treats of your choice… oooh.
The challenge: Snapchat us the spooookiest MoHi phenomenon.
DEADLINE TOMORROW

WKND: Pregame Playlist

Spoook up your Halloweekend: Evanescence, Beyoncé, and even a lil’ Rocky Horror. Get down this weekend with some scary jams and jingles.

Today's events and opportunities

Columbia Women's Leadership Conference
Female leaders will dish their insights and experiences on Friday from 12 to 3 p.m in Roone Arledge Cinema. The lineup’s pretty cool too—check it out. (Lunch included btw omnomnom.) Grab a ticket today!

It Was a Dark and Stormy BITE: Krispy Creme with CU Players’ “A Wrinkle In Time”

10 a.m. - 4 p.m. in the Diana Center

Halloween and Chill
7 - 9 p.m. at Barnard Well-Woman (119 Reid)

#TOUGHCOOKIES: Insomnia Cookie Break
7 - 9 p.m. in Sulzberger Hall Lobby

Nuestra Magia Latina: Latinx Heritage Month Showcase
6:30 - 9 p.m. in Roone Arledge Auditorium

KCST Presents Julius Caesar
8 p.m., Oct. 27 - 29 in Glicker-Milstein Theatre

LGBTQ History Month Film Screening: Pride (2014)
7 - 10 p.m. in 301 Philosophy Hall

Spectator's looking for designers!

Product designers are responsible for graphic design behind our website, apps, and digital features. They help us define the Spectator user experience, thinking about the manner in which Columbians interacts with our content and deciding on the best way to showcase our work—both journalistic and not.

Designers will be assigned to a Spectator product (such as The Shaft) for which they will create mockups and communicate with our tech teams to see their work come to life. No coding required, but some graphic design or artistic background is highly encouraged.

Snapchat of the day

Nothing like a night of safe sex and moist cookies.

Get in the Wake Up Call

• Tag us on Instagram @CUspectrum to submit your Instas for header images.
  • Message us on Facebook with links to your events or opportunities.
  • Snapchat us @CUspectrum for Snapchats of the day.
Don't miss a day of news. Subscribe to the Wake Up Call.