Counselling and resources available in wake of Taylor Wallace’s passing

Much to the sadness of the campus community, recently-enrolled Columbia College first-year and John Jay resident, Taylor Wallace, passed away on Thursday. More information on Taylor’s passing can be found in our news coverage. However, for friends on campus grieving the loss, there are resources and services available to you.

Vigil in John Jay Lounge from 8 to 10 p.m. on Monday Oct. 31

John Jay Hall Council is providing a safe space for friends of Taylor to remember him and cope with the loss.

Columbia Psychological Services (CPS) will also mediate discussions on grief, suicide prevention, and mental health stigma.

If you’re a Barnard or GS student requiring sign-in, add your info to this spreadsheet in advance. More details about the event can be found here.

Nightline

Call Nightline Peer Listening anytime between 10 p.m. and 3 a.m. at (212) 854-7777. While Nightline counsellors cannot provide advice and guidance, they are available to talk things through with you and be a source of comfort.

Counseling Psychological Services and the Rosemary Furman Counseling Center

For more long-term coping, make an appointment with CPS or Furman. Do so by heading to their respective websites and signing up. Your first session will be a phone call, and then you’ll be able to meet with specialists.

Furman listening hours

Can’t wait for an appointment? Furman holds confidential one-on-one drop-ins with counsellors from 7 to 9 p.m. on Mondays in Plimpton and on Thursdays in Elliot Hall. You can chat for up to half an hour without an appointment.

If the door is open, walk right on in. If it’s closed, fill out the sign-up sheet and return later. However, do note that listening hours aren’t happening during fall break.

CPS drop-in hours

Support is also available to Columbia students in the evening, Mondays to Thursdays. Swipe into residence halls for drop-in one-on-ones in 100 Carman, 115 Hartley, 102 Broadway, or 210 EC. Click here for details and times.

Take care of yourself, and reach out for support.