City

Your fall break itinerary: Events to hit up throughout NYC

Do you feel that? It’s the feeling of impending loneliness that’ll hit when all of your friends leave for fall break while you’re stuck on campus. At least you’ll have the lovely dining staff at Hewitt and JJ’s to keep you company, but sometimes (though rarely) that’s not enough...

Staying in MoHi while your buds enjoy home-cooked meals and Instagram pics with their dogs still kinda sucks.

If you don’t want to spend your entire break laying in bed, listening to Bon Iver, and lamenting your midterm next week, here’s your New York City itinerary. (Think of it this way: You get to see more of New York than your silly suitemates who decided to go home… nerds.)

All weekend long

If you’re in the mood to laugh, check out any of the events that the New York Comedy Festival is hosting. Be warned that many of these events cost a fair bit of change, but that’s expected with headliners such as Fred Armisen and Trevor Noah.

Friday, Nov. 4

Want to listen to some dope blues music? Check out Bluesology, a concert from 7 p.m.- 1 a.m. featuring some of the best blues artists in New York City, at B.B. King Blues Club.

More into the arts scene? Check out First Fridays at the Frick at 6 p.m., special exhibits and performances at one of the few art museums we don’t usually get into for free.

Frick.png

@katiekrex / via Instagram

Don’t forget about sports! Columbia Women’s Volleyball plays Dartmouth in Levien Gym at 7 p.m., and there are free shirts for the first 200 fans!

Saturday, Nov. 5

Hankering for some delicious food and great deals? Head down to Skylight One Hanson in Brooklyn for its popular flea market and Smorgasburg combo, open from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m.

Market.png

@bkflea / via Instagram

And since you’ll already be in Brooklyn, you might as well check out the comic arts festival taking place from 11 a.m. - 7 p.m at Comic Arts Brooklyn (12 Havemeyer Street).

Just make sure you’re back in time for the final women’s volleyball game of the season. CU vs. Harvard at 5 p.m.; be there (there as in Levien Gym) or be square.

Sunday, Nov. 6

Have you ever wanted to go to an event hosted by the French Embassy? Voici votre chance.

Give the Festival Albertine a try, and listen to some prolific authors who will speak about the role language plays in politics at 3 p.m.; 972 Fifth Avenue.

French.png

@emilyklochkoff / via Instagram

More of an artsy type? Check out Richard Sandler’s photo series, The Eyes of The City, and see his photographs of New York for the past 40 years. It’ll all go down from 7-10 p.m.; 505 W 23rd St.

Monday, Nov. 7

Get in touch with your emotional side at an open poetry reading from 8-10 p.m. downtown at The Poetry Project, 131 East 10th Street.

Poetry.png

@pmlegault / via Instagram

If you want to experience some cool technology that I can’t even begin to explain, NASA’s “Augmenting Exploration” event at the NYU School of Engineering (6 Metrotech Center, Brooklyn) might be for you, from 7-9 p.m.

Tuesday, Nov. 8

Spend the day in the library working on the assignments you didn’t do because you were too busy galavanting around the city having fun!

Whether you will spend Tuesday night celebrating the end of political commercial season or lamenting the state of our country, there are ample opportunities around the city to watch the election results. You can:

Fall Break is the perfect time to explore parts of the greatest city in the world (according to the Schuyler Sisters, at least). Make sure you take advantage of any of these events and everything else that NYC has to offer, before the weather and overpopulation leave you too jaded.

Know of any other events worth attending this fall break? Throw a comment down below, zip us a Tweet, or Snapchat us @CUspectrum.

Miles Greenspoon is a trainee Spectrum staff writer and a GS/JTS junior. One time during fall break, he went to Staten Island, and it was a horrible experience. Reach him at miles.greenspoon@columbiaspectator.com or @mileshasjokes.