Venture into Columbia’s subterranean tunnels with these maps

Sick of the cold? As temps drop, you’re undoubtedly looking for ways to beat the chill and travel around campus without having to go outside. (We may have split the atom, but we’ve yet to develop a way to teleport. SEAS, get on this please.)

Columbia’s tunnel system has long been a ~secret~ way to get around campus. They have a long and storied history, dating back to when the campus was occupied by the Bloomingdale Insane Asylum. The passages under Pupin once housed the Manhattan Project, and parts of the tunnels were taken over by student protestors in the 1960s.

However, now they are your route to class! As long as you’re totally cool with the idea that the tunnels are 100% off limits and you risk both suspension and shame if you’re caught in them, you’re now able to get from class to class without having to face the freeze. Hurrah!

Since you’re scarred from last year’s winter storm Jonas, you now have the tools to face this year’s cold without (too much) fear. Now your biggest fears can revert back to the usual: unemployment, student debt, and your inevitable lifetime of loneliness.

Mariella Evangelista is a first-year and a Spectrum staff writer. Although she was born in Boston, she is weak when it comes to winter. Reach her at mariella.evangelista@columbiaspectator.com to share your warmth or for anything else.