Support and counseling services in light of Nicole Orttung’s passing

Much to the sadness of the campus community General Studies senior and fellow Speccie, Nicole Orttung, GS ’17, passed away last Tuesday in Washington, D.C. More information on Nicole’s passing can be found in our news coverage. For friends on campus grieving the loss, there are resources and services available to you.

Nightline

Call Nightline Peer Listening anytime between 10 p.m. and 3 a.m. at (212) 854-7777. While Nightline counselors cannot provide advice or guidance, they are available to talk things through with you and be a source of comfort.

Counseling and Psychological Services and the Rosemary Furman Counseling Center

For more long-term coping, make an appointment with CPS or Furman. Do so by heading to their respective websites and signing up. Your first session will be a phone call, and then you’ll be able to meet with specialists.

Furman listening hours

Can’t wait for an appointment? Furman holds confidential one-on-one drop-ins with counselors from 7 to 9 p.m. on Mondays in Plimpton and on Thursdays in Elliot Hall. You can chat for up to half an hour without an appointment.

If the door is open, walk right on in. If it’s closed, fill out the sign-up sheet and return later.

CPS drop-in hours

Support is also available to Columbia students in the evening, Mondays to Thursdays. Swipe into residence halls for drop-in one-on-ones in 100 Carman, 115 Hartley, 102 Broadway, or 210 EC. Click here for details and times.

In addition, CPS is hosting a walk-in group counseling session tomorrow, Nov. 29 from 6 - 8 p.m. in Fairholm Lounge, 503 West 121st Street.

Take care of yourself, and reach out for support.