Columbia named second-largest producer of billionaires

Step 1: Get into Columbia. Step 2: Graduate from Columbia. Step 3: ????? Step 4: Profit.

Okay, so maybe that’s not exactly how it works, but according to a recent article by Forbes, Columbia has 12 billionaires among its alumni. Yes, that’s “billionaires” with a B. Columbia boasts the second highest number of them, topped only by Harvard’s staggering 35—but besides educating the creators of social media and the personal computer, what has Harvard accomplished?

Columbia’s “damn they’re rich” dozen, as I will refer to them until I join the elite squad, have a combined net worth of $171.7 billion. That’s enough money to pay over two million students’ full Columbia tuition. .

What else can you buy with that much money, you ask? Well, you could afford over 50,500 Prezbo salaries, more than 750,000 Bacchanal budgets, or exactly 24,563,662,374.8 bags of Westside cookies. Just to be clear, that is twenty-four billion, five hundred and sixty-three million, six hundred and sixty-two thousand, three hundred and seventy-four point eight bags.

A significant portion of that money belongs to none other than Warren Buffett, who graduated with a Master of Science in Economics in 1951. His measly $70.9 billion make him the second richest person in the United States.

Other Columbia grad billionaires include New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft and real estate mogul Richard LeFrak. This teaches us an important lesson: Anyone can put their last name on an edifice as long as they have at least ten figures in their bank account.

Awed by the amount of money you can make upon graduating? Have some money you want to share? Comment down below, Facebook message us, Tweet us, or snapchat us @CUSpectrum.

Miles Greenspoon is a Spectrum staff writer and a GS/JTS junior. As an American Studies major, he will never make anywhere close to this much money. To console him, reach him at miles.greenspoon@columbiaspectator.com or @mileshasjokes.