Wake Up Call: A healthy all-nighter? Bet you didn’t think that was a thing (12/8)

96

*/

Medical leave of absence → losing a semester’s tuition?

View this email in your browser

@isabellamonaco / via Instagram
Your 12/8 Wake Up Call

Tarps are on. We won't see grass until spring. :(

Today's top stories

What’s your learning style? In high school, your teachers chased you for overdue assignments. Not anymore. You have to know your individual learning styles in order to take control of your ability to learn.

Dear climate change deniers: Will Barnard write a heartfelt divestment letter to companies who deny climate change? Barnard’s fossil fuel divestment task force does not ship the relationship.

Effective all-nighters: Is there a healthy way to pull an all-nighter? Probably not, but some things help. Put down the Red Bull and do it right with these guidelines.

I walk a lonely Rhode: We’re smart, right? Why, then, does our number of Rhodes scholars pale in comparison to our Ivy League frenemies? Does it say anything about the worth of our education?

Survival streak: Women’s basketball continues its winning streak in a nail-biter against Providence College.

Eight-legged escape: Love the Spider-Man movies? Step away from your self-designated Butler desk and become one with arachnids in this Spider-Man walking tour.

“Playing in the post?” That’s basketball lingo for playing near the basket. New assistant women’s b-ball coach has been changing things up by making each player focus on their individual strengths.

Let us in! Teaching and research assistants want to join the UAW, but will they be granted access? Voting begins tonight.

Basketball bias: Three players dominate the amount of time spent on the court as their new head coach unevenly distributes the team’s minutes.

That smart frat: Super ~prestigious~ academic honor society, Phi Beta Kappa, announced 23 senior inductees for 2017.

JJ’s fights food insecurity: Since JJ’s started holding open hours over breaks, students requesting emergency food grants from the Office of Financial Aid are fewer.

Men’s basketball did what? With a quarter of the season behind us, it’s time to reflect on the first seven games. What does the younger players’ success mean for the future of the team?

Pro tip of the day

No seats in Butler? Off-campus study spots ranked on Wi-Fi, lighting, noise, and socket availability. Be strategic when studying off-campus.

Community

This week’s competition: Sell out your roommate or suitemates for Muji. Tbh your living situation has probably led to some outrageous stories by now. Spill the jelly beans by confessing your wildest room- or suitemate-related escapade.

Events and opportunities

Check out Spectrum's Study Break Master Calendar to find one that works for your schedule.

Performance: Columbia University Ballet Ensemble presents Alice in Wonderland
Dec. 8th at 9 p.m. in Roone Arledge Auditorium

Screening: Ava DuVernay's documentary 13TH
8 to 10 p.m. in 503 Hamilton

Performance: Latenite Fall 2016 Anthology
Dec. 8 at 11 p.m. in Lerner Black Box Theater

Discussion: Feminism/Realism: Elena Ferrante
6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Jerome Green Hall

Candy-grams: Fundraiser to Support the Natural Resource Defense Council
11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Lerner Ramps

Volunteer work: Serving Together, An Event of Service and Discussion
7:30 to 9:30 p.m. at the Kraft Center

Snapchat of the day

This is not a drill. The tarps are on. Winter is here.

Get in the Wake Up Call

• Tag us on Instagram @CUspectrum to submit your Instas for header images.
  • Message us on Facebook with links to your events or opportunities.
  • Snapchat us @CUspectrum for Snapchats of the day.
Subscribe to the Wake Up Call.