Wake Up Call: Barnard’s contingent faculty union voted on strike authorization (10/9)

96

*/

These roommate confession stories though...

View this email in your browser

@k.w.price / via Instagram
Your 12/9 Wake Up Call

Puppy study break today. This is not a drill.

Today's top stories

Israel + CU: What is the state of discourse about Israel and Palestine at Columbia? Columnist Daniella Greenbaum reflects on the issue and concludes that we need move forward with a focus on the people, rather than politics.

Strike vote: Following their vote for strike authorization, Barnard’s contingent faculty union can strike at any time during negotiations without prior notice to the college.

CPS makes you do what? Taking a medical leave of absence can save a student’s life. However, students may face several obstacles, including losing tuition and financial aid.

Post-wrestling scandal: Wrestling will compete against Drexel in its fourth event since the scandal. First-year Alec Kelly and junior Dan Reed will square off against top-15 opponents in Philadelphia.

Autoimmune life: Jonathan Harper, a GS student with lupus, discusses invisible disabilities, Columbia’s tiny elevators, and avoiding the “that sick kid” label.

Pro tip of the day

Effective all-nighters: Is there a healthy way to pull an all-nighter? Probably not, but some things help. Put down the Red Bull and do it right with these guidelines.

Community

Week in Snapchats: Nude TAs, celebrity sightings, and sleep-deprived Barnumbians––all in this week’s edition of Week in Snapchats.

Roommates gone wild: Think your roommate is bad? Barnumbians sent us their roommate horror stories for Muji merch. Check out the where the yogurt was left...

This week's contest: Break out the menorahs and homemade wreaths and Snapchat us your holiday dorm decor for a chance to win a Muji gift package.

Events and opportunities

Check out Spectrum's Study Break Master Calendar to find one that works for your schedule.

Performance: CMTS presents “First Date”
8 p.m. in Minor Latham Playhouse

Performance: CUBE presents “Alice in Wonderland”
9 p.m. in Roone Arledge Auditorium

Performance: Latenite Fall 2016 Anthology
11 p.m. in Black Box Theater, Lerner Hall

Sports: Men and Women’s Swimming and Diving Spirit Matches
3 to 9 p.m. in Dodge Fitness Center

Cultural meeting: Latinx General Body Meeting
4 to 6 p.m. in the Intercultural Resource Center

Snapchat of the day

Sophia, on her last night of production as Spectrum editor.

Get in the Wake Up Call

• Tag us on Instagram @CUspectrum to submit your Instas for header images.
  • Message us on Facebook with links to your events or opportunities.
  • Snapchat us @CUspectrum for Snapchats of the day.
There's no day like today to subscribe to the Wake Up Call.