Two Columbia buildings named among best New York City architecture of 2016

The New York Times has recognized Columbia’s two newest buildings as some of the best architecture in New York City, according to an article published Thursday. The honors go to the Roy and Diana Vagelos Education Center at the Medical Campus and the Jerome L. Greene Science Center on the Manhattanville Campus.

We don’t necessarily think of Columbia as home to groundbreaking, innovative architecture. Usually, our thoughts are more along the lines of, “Wow, these ramps are really dumb” or, “Why the heck does this building start on the fourth floor?” Columbia has certainly attempted to rectify those notions with its  building pursuits outside the Morningside Heights campus.

As Spectrum’s resident sculpture aficionado, I feel more than qualified to comment on the beauty and concept of these architectural masterpieces.

Vagelos Center

Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 3.19.43 PM.png

@310_joe / via Instagram

Designed by Diller Scofidio + Renfro, in collaboration with architecture firm Gensler, the Roy and Diana Vagelos Education Center—yes, named after the same Diana as Barnard’s Diana Center—reminds me of a mashup between the Diana and NoCo. Perhaps it’s the floor-to-ceiling windows and the orange coloring.

Home to administrative offices, student study spaces, and classrooms, the Vagelos Center is a beautiful new home for many medical students’ tears.

Greene Science Center

Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 3.29.11 PM.png

@mitchelljhall / via Instagram

The Jerome L. Greene Science Center, designed by Renzo Piano, is more than just any new building—it’s environmentally friendly! With six different types of walls (seriously), the Greene Science Center’s cutting-edge design is appropriate for the cutting-edge neuroscience research it will house.

Its cool concept is only matched by its proximity to campus—you only have to take a short walk along Broadway to get there. If you’re planning a visit, you might as well check out one of the restaurants located along the way.

If you’re itching to get off campus for a bit this finals season, perhaps a journey to one of these buildings—or any other on the list, like the revamped Rose Main Reading Room—will help.

Have you explored these buildings in person yet? Comment down below, Facebook message us, tweet us, or Snapchat us @CUSpectrum to share your thoughts.

Miles Greenspoon is a Spectrum staff writer and GS/JTS junior. He is excited to check out the Greene Science Center (but also to see what’s up with that new Starbucks opening up a couple blocks south of it). Reach him at miles.greenspoon@columbiaspectator.com or @mileshasjokes.