Wake Up Call: Does being a sanctuary campus actually protect undocumented students? (1/19)

*/

Going to the career fair this weekend? Here’s some prep material.
Today's forecast: Sunny with a high of 48°

View this email in your browser

@alexander_soe / via Instagram
Your 1/19 Wake Up Call

Your first week of classes, completed! Unless you have a Friday class. In that case, our condolences.

Today's top stories

What will happen to undocumented students? The administration promised that CU would be made a sanctuary campus for undocumented students, but is that legally possible? It’s uncertain.

Straight-A semester: Grades need some revamping? Looking to leave procrastination in 2016? Become a stellar student this year by sticking to these doable academic resolutions.

The trip to Washington: With Trump’s inauguration happening tomorrow, many student groups are organizing to attend the Women’s March on Washington, including Columbia/Barnard Hillel, Beyond the Box, and Columbia Against Trump.

Presidential qualities: Over 40 Barnard senior faculty signed a letter to the board of trustees asking that the interim president have an academic background—a request that was not met. Faculty are concerned that their voices won't hold much weight in the presidential search. 

Love, actualized: Is love a catch-22? Some seem to think so, including Joel Davis, GS student and Nobel Peace Prize finalist, whose relationship couldn’t overcome his past trauma of sexual assault.

Jetsetting to a successful study abroad experience: For those hoping to study abroad in the summer or fall, it’s time to start planning. Here’s all the preliminary info you’ll need to know.

Staying within the Ivy League: The road to the Ivy basketball tournament begins this weekend with the men’s and women’s teams playing their first Ivy home game, both against Cornell.

The fault in our protests: With the inauguration just one day away, many students are wondering what makes a successful protest. In this op-ed, a CC first-year argues for protests calling for actions, rather than protests that are primarily complaints.

WANTED: First-year interns: It’s hard snagging that ideal internship as a first-year, but it can be done. Begin the search for the ideal job with the right info and organization techniques.

First tastes of glory: The Ivy League never had a conference tournament for basketball … before now. This could bode well for CU, whose men’s team hasn’t won since ’68, and whose women's team has never claimed an Ivy title.

Ten years of twirling: In honor of their 10th anniversary, ballerinas in the Columbia Ballet Collaborative are putting on a program that meshes together new and old performances. Here’s what the group has cooking for the semester.

Community Impact vs. voluntourism: Yesterday, a writer penned an op-ed about voluntourism; today, another student responds to that piece by defending Community Impact as an organization that positively affects the lives of people living in the community.

Ahead of the game: On the women’s b-ball squad is a 6-foot-1 forward named Camille Zimmerman who leads the team in scoring (over 1,000 points), rebounds, assists, and steals. Oh, and she’s only a junior.

Pro tip of the day

On the prowl for a job? Want to woo the company reps? Master the art of the career fair by dressing, networking, and selling yourself like a professional.

Spectator Spring Recruitment

Here at Spec, our team is made of students from all of Columbia’s undergraduate schools: reporters, software developers, photographers, designers, social media experts, data analysts, and more. Find your place at one of our open houses.

Saturday, Jan. 21, 3.00 p.m.: Journalism Open House
Saturday, Jan. 21, 4:30 p.m.: Business and Innovations Open House

Saturday, Jan. 28, 3.00 p.m.: Journalism Open House
Saturday, Jan. 28, 4:30 p.m.: Business and Innovations Open House

Sunday, Jan. 29, 3:00 p.m.: SpecTech Open House
Sunday, Jan. 29, 4:30 p.m.: Visuals Open House

Apply to be a Spec columnist

Have a thought or two about recent campus discourse? Want to become an instantly recognizable voice in the Columbia community? Then you belong in Spec Opinion, which is currently accepting applications for its columnist positions. Learn more here, and submit your app here by Jan. 21 at 11:59 p.m.

Events and opportunities

Dance Audition: Onyx Spring 2017 Audition
8-11 p.m. in Lerner Hall

South Asian Feminisms Alliance’s G-Body Meeting: Poster party
8-9 p.m. in the Diana Center, sixth floor

Opera Audition: NOW Spring Auditions
Jan. 19-20 from 8-10 p.m., Jan. 21 from 12-3 p.m. in 715 Hamilton Hall

Audition: CUPAL Spring 2017 Special Project Auditions and Interviews
8–11 p.m. in Hamilton Hall

Audition: Audition and Interview for NOMADS’ Double Feature: West and Life in Space
Jan. 17 - 19, 8 - 11 p.m. in Hamilton Hall

Audition: Clefhangers Spring Audition

Audition: Uptown Vocal Spring Auditions

Audition: Audition for Nonseq

Audition: Kingsmen Spring Auditions
Jan. 17 - 18, 8 - 11 p.m. in Hamilton Hall

Snapchat of the day

Hot off the press from the Barnard librarians. Quite the collection, and we’re especially loving that Notorious RBG mug.

Get in the Wake Up Call

• Tag us on Instagram @CUspectrum to submit your Instas for header images.
  • Message us on Facebook with links to your events or opportunities.
  • Snapchat us @CUspectrum for Snapchats of the day.
Subscribe to the Wake Up Call to get it in you inbox at 8 a.m. instead of on Facebook at 10 a.m.