Making this year count: Lifestyle resolutions for a happy and healthy new year

Let’s face it: You’ve already broken the same, noble New Year’s resolutions that you make for yourself each year. You’ve spent money instead of saving it, gained weight instead of losing it, and spent more time binge-watching Scandal than volunteering (though, who could blame you?).

It’s just three weeks into 2017, and many of us have already broken our resolutions, are out of ideas for new ones, or are looking for a fresh one to begin. Though many Barnumbians are setting academic goals for themselves in the new semester, we here at Spectrum believe that setting small, daily social life goals for this coming semester can also yield great results.

We’ve thought of some easier alternatives to some of the most commonly made (and broken) Columbia New Year’s resolutions to ensure that this year is the best one yet (no promises about your grades, though).

Reduce your JJ’s consumption to three times a week

Though JJ’s has some healthy(ish) choices, the majority of options are cholesterol-raising comfort foods. While this is great for late-night studying fuel (or after a visit to 1020), for peak fitness ’n’ health, aim to consume JJ’s under three times a week. If you find this to be too difficult, you can sneak out some JJ’s snacks to munch on. We can’t all be perfect.

source.gif

Get off campus more often

While the walk from Hamilton to Lerner may seem excessive to you, it’ll be good to try to make it below 110th street and above 125th street at least once a week (even if you really want to just hibernate through this winter’s cold).

It’s so easy to get caught in the MoHi bubble, but a little exploration helps put your stressors into perspective. Try Spectrum’s “Escape MoHi” series for movie-related fun all over Manhattan.

giphy.gif

Do laundry at least every two weeks

Prove that you’re a functioning adult by doing your laundry before running out of underwear. Alternatively, Barnard women can make the resolution to use a CC or SEAS friend’s free laundry privileges. It’s the little victories in life.

giphy.gif

If you’re feeling adventurous, actually wash your sheets

Ah, the true mark of adulthood. If you have successfully accomplished washing your clothes and towels, level up to washing your sheets. Though most doctors recommend washing your sheets once a week, we’re no M.D.s here at Spectrum—your superior immune system can probably last you double or triple that.

giphy.gif

Make a friend who isn’t your age

This one may sound simple, but it’s so easy to get caught up in interacting just with people your own age. Try and branch out to those older and younger than you. Strike a conversation with the GS-er sitting next to you in statistics. Getting to know more people and expanding your social groups can make you happier in the cold and dark days of winter (and beyond).

giphy.gif

Actually use your Fitbear/Group Fitness Pass

If you spent $50 or $175 of your already limited budget for access to these group fitness classes, resolve to attend a class or two every week. Print out the schedule, and highlight the different classes, then hang it somewhere in your room. This can either serve as a reminder of all the workouts that you’ve enjoyed or of all the workouts you’ve been avoiding.

giphy.gif

Try to eat a piece of fresh produce every day

No, the green apple-flavored Jolly Ranchers your RA leaves outside their door don’t count. It’s easy to find yourself eating only processed foods on any given day (though who could blame you on John Jay’s Italian Night?). Despite the risk of me sounding like your mother: Try and sneak in some fresh produce every day. If anything, do it so you can put #healthguru in your Insta bio.

Pro tip: Don’t spend $8 on a bag of grapes at Westside. Food can just as easily be stolen borrowed from the dining halls.

giphy.gif

Try to attend classes that don’t factor in attendance

When you are tempted to hit the snooze button again, think of how much in-person learning contributes to your knowledge (or how attractive your crush across the room is). If that doesn’t work, try thinking about how much tuition is. If that doesn’t get you out of bed, nothing will. If you do end up missing class (tsk tsk for shame), resolve to always get the notes from somebody who attended. What are friends for?

giphy.gif

Join a new club

Even if it’s just for the free food that many club interest meetings offer, branch out of your comfort zone, and find new pals by joining a new club. Because Columbia and Barnard together offer hundreds of club options, do some research to find specific clubs you’re interested in. Browse your Facebook events, and reach out to different clubs to find out when the first meeting times may be.

If reporting, business, design, ~service journalism~, data analysis, product and web development, and much, much more strike your fancy (or if you want to join generations of incredible journalists, mentors, and community activists), Spectator is recruiting! Check out our event on Facebook and on our website.

Even if your first trial of New Year’s resolutions ended up in the trash, it’s not too late to begin again. Remember that you have the power to make 2017 a wonderful year, both on campus and beyond. Set goals to start this semester off on the right foot.

Tried one of our New Year’s resolutions? Have your own? Tell us about it on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Snapchat @CUSpectrum.

Mariella Evangelista is a Spectrum staff writer and a Barnard first-year. She has always kept her resolutions and believes she deserves some kind of award for that. Praise her at mariella.evangelista@columbiaspectator.com.

All gifs via giphy.com.

Jessica posted on

Dr.Unity can help you with real and genuine Love spell to get ex back fast and Stop a Divorce or Breakup.
My bf broke up with me almost 6 months ago. We were dating for about 2 years. We fell out a little bit when he got depressed. Then we patched things up but at the end he told he did not want to commit to anyone right now. After breakup I was begging him to come back. I was desperate and clingy. I know that it was the worst thing to do. Currently I keep no contact almost for three months). I really miss him and I want him back... I do not know what to do. I need some advice. As I was browsing through the internet one day, I came across a website that suggested that Dr.Unity can help get ex back fast and Stop a Divorce or Breakup and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and told him my problems and he told me what to do and i did it and he did a spell for me. 11 hours later, my husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my family are living together happily again. Dr.Unity is the best online spell caster that is powerful and genuine. If you have any problem contact him and i guarantee you that he will help you. Here’s his contact: Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com , you can also call him or add him on whats-app: +2348071622464 ,Website: http://unityspelltemple.yolasite.com ..... Thank you

+1
+1
-1
Victoria Jacques posted on

This Is How To Actually Win And Get Your Ex Back With The Help Of Dr Happy Powerful And Urgent Love Spell With 100% Guarantee
Hiiiii!! my boyfriend and I have been getting into little arguments which then later escalated. A lot of which are my fault but I never thought I would lose him because we are in love. He told me yesterday that he loves me but is done. That the fights keep hurting him too much. I can’t believe I hurt him like that and would love nothing more than another chance to prove to him and myself that I will cut out my insecurities that I’ve brought into this relationship. I did all i could to end this fight between us, didn’t work so i had to seek the help of a spell caster who i met online and promised to help me bring him back into my life in 2 days time. i wasn’t really sure about this, but i was really desperate that i had to do all that the spell caster asked me. it was on the second day at 5pm on Friday, i had a knock on the door and to my greatest surprise, it was my boyfriend, the first thing he said, was that he has forgiven me and he will never leave me again, Am so full of joy for what this spell caster and to this product page and graphic love spell coz it really help and work for me, i also want the world to benefit from this. if you need his help you can reach him for any thing on relationship problem, getting your ex back save and protect your marriage life with your soul mate contact him now for he is so powerful and real. Urgently email him now on happylovespell2@gmail.com for more info Visit or view on his web site at Web site:http://happyspelltemple.webs.com/ Also for quick option on how to help with a love spell add him up on Whats-app +2348133873774

+1
0
-1
Junia Noel posted on

Return Lost Love Spells That Really Work
“LOVE, Happiness, Care is the key fo LIFE”. That was the word from Dr happy when I consulted his powerful Love Spell. I married the wrong man; I realized that after Three years of our unfruitful marriage. Everything was going from Best to Worst in our life, no child, I got demoted from work after our marriage, my husband was sacked a year after. His application for new job in various offices was constantly declined even though he was qualified enough. I was made to take care of my family with the low income I earn get that wasn’t enough to pay our rent. We keep praying a seeking for help from some people, my friends laugh at me behind because I was advised not to get married yet.It was one Thursday night that my husband woke me up and told me that has thought enough about our crisis, he said that our crisis is not ordinary and it’s beyond our spiritual level. He suggested we should consult Dr happy from testimonies he showed me online about how he has been helping families. I was afraid, I don’t like evil or spell but I supported him to contact him if he can help us. We consulted him via happylovespell2@gmail.com and he replied positively after 20munites with congratulating email that he can help us but he will need our pure heart and trusts in his work if he will cast the spell on us and purify our life. We agreed to his terms. He cast the spell and told us to expect results within 5days. I waited for three days nothing happened, so I started having doubt and blaming my husband for emailing Dr happy. It was on the fifth day that my husband was called for an interview and he got a well-paying work, I was prompted to a higher position. I missed my period on the 5th day and it was confirmed that I am with a baby. Things have really changed for us for good and we now have our own house and cars. I will never forget what Dr happy told us “LOVE is the key fo LIFE”, this word keep me going. People that laughed at us are coming close for help and I am delighted to welcome them because my family is now blessed. Dr happy is a savior and man that keep to his word even when I doubted his powers at the end of the spell. Thank to your Oracle for helping us plz contact him http://happyspelltemple.webs.com/ for more details email.....happylovespell2@gmail.com or add him on whats-app +2348133873774

+1
0
-1
Missy Stone posted on

My husband left 2 months ago. A week after he left I found out he was dating someone who posted a picture of him kissing her in fb and that she “loves this man”. I am sick to my stomach. I want him back I do not want to be apart much less separated or divorced. I love my husband and I want to fight for him. I’m so scared of losing him. i knew my husband and i also know that some thing else was involve on this when i found out that this woman use a magic spell on my husband just to take him away from me, i was so devastating this as a result also destroyed my heart and soul coz i love my husband and i really want to get back with him i have seek for different counselling, nor could work out for me so i started given up on my husband coz there was no hope on getting back with him. one faithful night after my work, i got home trying to search for a friend of my of facebook, i come across a love page on how to get ex back, fix your broken marriage and stop divorced i was so happy want i found out some wonderful comment and testimony of a real spell caster who has help a lot of people to get their husband back so i order for an urgent love spell to get my husband, i contacted him via.. happylovespell2@gmail.com i did all he ask of me 2 days after the spell my husband show up at my office begging me to forgive him. i never believed i could have my husband back again we live happily now he show me love, care, also promise not to leave me again all thanks to Dr happy a real truthful spell caster plz if you have any problem similar to my do not hesitate to contact him http://happyspelltemple.webs.com/ for more details email.....happylovespell2@gmail.com or add him on whats-app +2348133873774

+1
0
-1