The Shaft

Thinking of living in the Living-Learning Center? Here’s how to apply

Room selection is a stressful process (so much so that we have to talk about it several times in January). If you’re a first-year dreading sophomore housing, or an upperclassman missing a group, there may be another solution for you.

The Living-Learning Center is currently accepting applications, which are due on Jan. 22 (this Sunday), for the next year. Much like applying for Special Interest Communities (shameless self promo ;) ), there are more expectations for applying for and living in the LLC. You need to be at least kind of involved in your dorm to be considered. However, since the LLC makes sure that there’s a mix of students from all four classes, you’re bound to make several new friends. How exciting is that?

If you’re thinking of living in the LLC, or just don’t wanna deal with the housing lottery, we’re here to guide you through the application process step-by-step.

Quick ’n’ dirty: WTF is LLC housing?

Basically, the LLC is located in Hartley and Wallach Halls, and it allows students from all four classes to live together in a suite or floor. Unlike SICs, you’re not united under a specific interest (like health or music)—you’re united by your love for floor events and outings.

The whole point of this is to help the first-years transition to college, since they’ll be immediately surrounded by people who’ve been through it all. Upperclassmen might choose this for the single or to help the new freshies out.

Your involvement actually matters now

11GLYJ41ILRLy0.gif

The LLC emphasizes the students’ involvement in the Columbia community. That means if you do live in the LLC, you and the rest of the members have to plan several more floor events than you do now. Since you’re expected to be involved once you live there, the application is completely based on your experience at Columbia and your participation in activities.

Before you think about applying, think hard about your involvement on your floor and your dorm. That means you should have been going to floor outings, participated in hall council, or at least gone to study breaks.

The pros and cons

5yLgoczEvFoE5LyoiZO.gif

Just like any housing option, living in the LLC definitely has some advantages. For starters, the suites in Hartley have their own kitchens, bathrooms, and lounges that make it feel like a real living room. It’s also a surefire way to end up with a single, if that’s your goal.

Plus, since everyone there is super involved with the dorm and community, it’s pretty easy to make friends with your suitemates. You’ll definitely be around each other a lot, and the more events you have, the closer you’ll become. Sounds pretty lit, right?

But like all housing options, there are a few downsides to living in the LLC. For starters, while you’ll definitely make friends with your suitemates, there’s no guarantee you’ll befriend them all. Dishes may pile up, things may get dirty, and fights might be incited. It sounds like a regular Friday to me, tho.

You also might not be down for all of the extra events, but you’ll have to get through them to get some pretty solid housing.

Impress the associate director (the top dog)

h2h6sWN5tQOGY.gif

That’s right, you’re not trying to impress the people in the LLC. You have to do your best to impress the person in charge of the entire housing sitch.

The app itself should take around 15 to 20 minutes to complete. There’s a section that asks you to list all of the events you’ve attended and helped plan. (This doesn’t include events from NSOP or study breaks, btw.) You’ll also have to write five short responses to questions about your college experience and interest in the LLC.

There’s no word limit for the answers to these questions, but we imagine you should write around 200 to 300 words for each question. You’ll be asked about what you like about your housing, what’s been challenging, how you addressed those challenges, why you want to live in the LLC, and how you’ll contribute. This might sound intimidating at first, but if you show some excitement in the response, you’re bound to get in.

Unlike the SICs, there’s no interview, and you actually have the ability to apply in a group of up to four people. However, you will have to ask your RA for a recommendation. Be sure to ask them ASAP so you have a chance at living in the LLC! Once the app is done, you’ll be notified of your acceptance on Feb. 22, and then you’re all set for housing.

There you have it! Your guide to applying to the LLC. Hopefully you’ll be able to watch all of your friends stress over the suite in Nuss getting taken by the group before them.

Dreading housing selection already? Spectrum will be covering housing with The Shaft. Check back in late February for all of your up-to-the-minute housing content. Also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Snapchat us @CUspectrum for more housing updates.

Huber Gonzalez is Spectrum’s deputy editor and a sophomore in Columbia College. As someone in an SIC, he understands why you’d want to avoid the lottery. Too bad he’s going through in-person selection this year. Reach him at huber.gonzalez@columbiaspectator.com to console him.

All gifs via giphy.com.

Jessica posted on

Hey guys, I'm so excited of getting my husband back after he left me and our 3 kids for another woman. After 2 years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. i felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, I was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a (Love spell) for me. 28 hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before,All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr Unity real and powerful spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your Ex back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact: Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,
you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348071622464 ,
his website:http://unityspelltemple.yolasite.com ,
Jessica, 26 years, Texas, USA .

+1
0
-1
Roger Jeremy posted on

HOW I GET MY WIFE BACK WITH THE HELP OF DR. JAKIKI....CALL HIM NOW FOR FAST LOVE SPELL +1 (402) 892-2486

My name is Roger Jeremy. I am testifying of the great Dr. Jakiki that God used in saving my marriage, I have been scammed by 5 different spell casters in Africa in an attempt to get my ex wife back but non could help me until I met a testimony of a lady from USA called Mrs Anita Sheeler who Dr Jakiki here in United States helped to get her husband back, I email him just because he is here in united states,and i explained to him how i want my wife back and also how i have been scammed. He ask me not to worry and assured me that i will get back my wife, i took the boldness of not giving up and to my surprised he helped me cast a spell that brought back my ex wife within the period of two days after he have cast the spell, am so happy that I can't stop thanking him rather than promise my self to share the good news,because i know that some many people are heart broken. In case if you need help to get your love one's who left you for another. Why going to another country to seek for help in your broken relationship,while Dr Jakiki is right here in the states. I advise all those seeking for help to turn to Dr Jakiki because he is much blessed of casting love spell. If you need help getting your ex back contact him via email.

Email:((Spellcasthome@gmail.com)) call or text him +1 (402) 892-2486 you will surely get your result. And if you want to know more info about Dr Jakiki you can also view his website: http://spellcasthome.webs.com/

+1
0
-1
Tom Irwin posted on

Help on How to Get Your Ex wife/husband Back..
My wife and I have been married for 7 years on November 11th. She recently told me she wasn't in love with me that she loved me more like a friend. She said she wants a divorce that she has been unhappy for a year now. I've been not so good as far as making promises and not keeping them but I have been trying to change and it doesn't seem to work. I love my wife to death and I took my vowels very seriously. I asked her to go to marriage counciling and she said no.we have 4 kids. We agreed to a 2 month break and try to work things out after that. Some of the problems we face are not having our own place to live and may be debt pile up. I really want things to work. The hurt that I feel is killing me and I’m to the point where I don’t eat and rarely drink anything.one day i was online and there was one particular testimony I saw, it was about a woman called Silvia Soulez ,she testified about how Dr .Goodluck brought back her Ex lover in less than 17 hours and at the end of her testimony she drop Dr .Goodluck e-mail address. After reading all these,I decided to give Dr .Goodluck a try. I contacted him via email and explained my problems to him. In just the space of 17hours, my wife came back to me. We solved our issues, and we are even happier than before. Dr .Goodluck is really a talented and gifted man and i will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man…If you have a problem and you are looking for a real and genuine spell caster to solve that problem for you. Try the great Dr .Goodluck today, he will be the answer to your problems. Here’s his contact:
Email him at: goodluck05spellcaster@gmail.com ,
Call him or add him on whats-app: +2348138654465
Or on His website: http://goodluck05spellcaster.yolasite.com
Tom Irwin, Manchester, United Kingdom

+1
0
-1
David L. Ollis posted on

Hi everyone
This is the most wonderful thing i have ever experience and i need to share this great testimony. About how i get my ex back after a breakup. I never believed it, because i never heard nor learn anything about it before. Hey guys my wife and I have been married for 15 years. For over five years I have been dealing with jealousy issues because of flirting and her having emotional type affairs with other men. I felt like my masculinity was in question and if I said the way she was acting bothered me, it seemed to make matters worse or I was accused of being controling. During this period I did state I wanted a divorce if the behavior was not going to end: texting men a night, leaving for the weekend without letting me know where she was going or not responding to messages. We do have a son and basically it's been him and I for the last year on the weekends. She disconnected completely from being a good wife and mother. In April she said she wanted a separation and I said no we need to get into marriage counseling. We did try that, but she was not very responsive and didn't give any effort. Afterward she was adamant about separation and divorce. I continued to say no and that we needed to save our family. She presented a separation agreement and I had to hire a lawyer. Because of the above behavior my lawyer suggested a private investigator. The investigator discovered my wife was having an affair with a close friend of the family who also is married with children. We know the extended families. I feel like I should tell this man's wife about what happened. This adultery has devastated me emotionally, I feel betrayed and I'm physically drained. I know my wife is passionate in terms of her sexuality, and I can't get the thought of them out of my head. It makes me question my own manhood, and I feel very inferior or that he must be a better lover or what ever. The problem is my wife pursued him. She would go to him and she lured him into this adultery. I felt this was coming for some time and could not stop it. She was not only lying to me but also to our son about what she was doing and where she was going. My family is important, my son loves her and as crazy as it sounds so do I. Can you respond with a course of action on how to proceed? I was still have a very huge place in my heart for her. so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Ahmed can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a spell for me. 28 hours later, my wife came to me and apolo[filtered]ed for the wrongs she did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I, my son and my wife are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr Ahmed. as it is a place to resolve marriage/relationship issues, do you want to be sure if your spouse is being faithful to you or Do you want your Ex to come back to you Contact.: E-mail: Ahmedutimate@gmail.com or call/Whats-app: +2348160153829 save your crumbling home and change of grades its 100% safe. I suggest you contact him. He will not disappoint you. David L. Ollis, 43yrs, UK

+1
+1
-1
Mandy Divanna posted on

Real And Urgent Spell Caster Reviews To Solve Your Relationship Problem Dr Goodluck..
My mind, for some reason, wont let go of my memory's of My husband after i found out my Husband of 9years had been living a double life and we separated months ago because of him cheating I was totally frustrated and did not know how to bring him back home because i love him so much and have tried all my possible best all to no avail, as i was browsing on the internet i came across a post on YouTube about Dr Goodluck who help people with their relationship and marriage problem by the powers of love spells, at first I doubted if such thing ever exists but decided to give it a try, when I contacted him i told him everything and he told me that everything will be fine that my husband is going to come back to me, And he told me all i will need to provide him with and i did and he told me that he is going to cast a returning spell so that my husband will come back, he helped me cast a spell and guarantee me that my husband will come back to me and within 17hours, to my greatest surprise, my husband came back to me and started apologizing, now he has stopped going out with women and he is with me for good and for real. if you have any problem contact Dr Goodluck he is real and always ready to solve your problem, email him on goodluck05spellcaster@gmail.com and you can also whatapp him or call with his mobile +2349059610309 and i promise you that he is going to help you with any problem OKay…

+2348138654465
goodluck05spellcaster@gmail.com
http://goodluck05spellcaster.yolasite.com

+1
0
-1
Roger Jeremy posted on

+1
+1
-1
Tom Irwin posted on

He can help with a pranancy spell
He can help cure HIV
Help in getting Love back
Finding your Soul Mate for life
And so many more.

+1
0
-1

Hey guys! fix your broken relationship or get your Ex-Lover back fast through the help of best spell caster online, read my testimony and contact him now if you have any problem and i guarantee you that Dr Unity will help you!.
I'm so excited of getting my husband back after he left me and our 3 kids for another woman. After 2 years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. i felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, I was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try.
I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a (Love spell) for me. 28 hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before,All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr Unity real and powerful spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your Ex back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact: Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com , you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348071622464 ,
Jessica, 26 years, Texas, USA .

+1
0
-1
Leon Adrian posted on

I visited a forum here on the internet on the 15TH OF MAY 2015, And i saw a marvelous testimony of this powerful and great spell caster called Dr Save on the forum..I never believed it, because i never heard nor learnt anything about spells before.. Not a soul would have been able to influence me about magical spells, not until Dr Save did it for me and restored my marriage of 8 years back to me and brought my wife back to me in just 17hours just as i read on the internet..i was truly astonished and shocked when my wife knelt down begging for forgiveness and for me to accept her back.. I am really short of expressions, and i don't know how much to convey my appreciation to you Dr Save you are a God sent to me and my entire family.. And now i am a joyful man once again.. here is his Email: adesolutiontemple@gmail.com you can also OR call or whatsapp +2348138654465 Or visit his website now http://getyourexack.yolasite.com

+1
0
-1
emily posted on

Thank you sir for your genuine spells. I'm Emily by name. From Germany This is really incredible, and I have never experienced anything like this in my life. Before i met you Sir, i have tried every probable means that i could to get my husband back, but i actually came to realize that nothing was working out for me, and that my husband had developed lot of hatred for me.. I thought there was no hope to reunite with my husband. But when i read good reviews about how Prophet Abulele help others, I decided to Email him at prophetabulelehealingtemple@gmail.com to give it a try and i did everything that he instructed me and i Trusted in him and followed his instructions just as he have guaranteed me in 24 hours, and that was exactly when my husband called me..Sir We are more contented now than ever. Everything looks perfect and so natural! Thank you so much Sir for your authentic and indisputable spells. here again his Email: prophetabulelehealingtemple@gmail.com Thanks Sir for your help..

+1
0
-1
amira posted on

This is a Wonderful testimony on a Spell caster called DR KEN that Just helped me and Brought My Ex Husband back within 2 Days with his Love spell. I am MORENO HADIC from MEXICO, my Life has being very Difficult for me Since my Husband Left me and my Two Kids. My Kids and I and had being Missing My Husband, and I cried almost Everyday because of him, One Faithful Day, Someone Directed me to This man called DR KEN and I Contacted him VIA Email and He Cast a Love spell for me and Told me that i will see the Result within 2 DAYS, My Husband That Left me For about 3 years Called me And Started opposing and he even sent me an apologizing Text. From that Moment, I and My Family had being Living happily. Readers Out There, Who are in Pains and have Great Pleasure in Contacting this Man should do that On this Email; drkenlovespell@gmail.com or call him +1(903) 847-0267 thank you so much Dr,KEN for all you done for me.

+1
0
-1