Graduate on time: Your crash course to course requirements

If one of your New Year’s resolutions is to have a 10-year plan, what better way to get cracking on that goal than to make sure you’ll be able to graduate on time? Your advisor outlined your requirements during NSOP, but whether you’re a senior or a first-year, that probably seems like a distant, foggy memory.

In case you need a refresher or are trying to figure out your schedule for this semester without reading through bulletins and long lists, here’s a quick reminder.

CC

In order to graduate from Columbia College, you’ll need to complete all major requirements, the Core Curriculum, and have a credit total of 124.

As a CC freshie, you’ll be taking UWriting and FroSci in different semesters. You’ll also have to take two semesters of Lit Hum in your first year and two semesters of Contemporary Civilization (usually in your second year, if you’re not a transfer student). CC kiddos also have a four-semester foreign language requirement, but this can be fulfilled with placement tests, SAT II scores, or AP scores.

The rest of the CC required classes (that you can take whenever) are Art Hum, Music Hum, two sems of Global Core, and two other approved science classes (dw, Physics for Poets is an option for those who are not science geeks). Also, who could forget the two-semester PE requirement and the infamous swim test?

SEAS

In order to graduate from SEAS, you’ll need to complete all major requirements, the technical core, and have a credit total of at least 128 (for some majors, it’s greater) with a GPA of at least 2.0.

SEAS-lings have a shorter liberal arts core (UWriting your first year, either Art Hum or Music Hum, and two semesters of Lit Hum, CC, or the Global Core requirement). Don’t rejoice too soon, though, because you’ll have an expanded technical core.

As a first-year, you’ll take The Art of Engineering (in lieu of FroSci), at least two semesters of physics, and at least one semester of chemistry. You’ll also have a semester of physics or chem lab, and at least one comp sci class. (You may not have the CC language requirement, but hey, comp sci is a foreign language in itself.)

On the phys ed front, you’re exempt from knowing how to swim, but you’ll still have the two-semester PE requirement.

Not to be completely *technical,* but you’ll also have a semester of Principles of Economics (if you have the AP scores, you can place out) and nine to 11 points of other non-technical electives.

GS

In order to graduate from GS, you’ll need to complete all major requirements, GS core requirements, electives, and have a credit total of at least 124 with a GPA of at least 2.0.

GS has a lot of the same requirements as CC (like the four-semester language requirement), but you may qualify for exemptions based on your prior courses and/or experiences. Talk to your advisor to work out the kinks.

Other than UWriting and two semesters of Global Core, GS students are not technically required to take any of the CC core classes. Instead, you can choose other courses that cover the same material: You don’t need to suffer through Lit Hum, but you must take at least one literature class and one humanities class. You also don’t have to take Contemporary Civilization, but instead get to choose two social science classes. You get the idea.

Other requirements include a semester of quantitative reasoning (which you can place out of with a test or credit transfer) and three semesters of science courses (again, Physics for Poets is an option).

Pre-2020 Barnard

In order to graduate from Barnard pre-2020, you’ll need to complete all major requirements, all Nine Ways of Knowing requirements, and have a credit total of at least 122.

The Barnard course requirements are where things get a little dicey. All Barnard students must take First-Year English and a First-Year Seminar, and at least one semester of PE (usually taken during your freshman year).

However, for Barnard ’19 and earlier, you have the 9WoK (nine distribution requirements with really obscure titles = nine things you have to know before graduating).

Like CC and GS, pre-2020 Barnardigans will have a four-semester language requirement. The other 9WoK reqs are:

• Quantitative and Deductive Reasoning
  • Ethics and Values (a mix of philosophy, religion, history, and English courses)
  • Social Analysis (some political science, some sociology, etc.)
  • Historical Studies
  • Cultures in Comparison (art, history, english, anthropology, religion, etc. from around the world)
  • Literature
  • Visual and Performing Arts
  • Laboratory Science (two semesters of a science with a lab requirement)

Does it matter when you finish these requirements? Not in the slightest. For the full list of which classes satisfy which distribution, click here.

Post-2020 Barnard

In order to graduate from Barnard if you’ve entered Fall 2016 and onward, you’ll need to complete all major requirements, all Foundations requirements, and have a credit total of at least 122.

For current first-year Barnardigans, you have the shiny new Foundations curriculum. This is made up of four distribution requirements, and six “modes of thinking” courses. One course can fulfill a maximum of two requirements, and those requirements are:

• Two semesters of language classes
  • Two courses in the arts and humanities
  • Two courses in the social sciences
  • Two science courses, one of which must have a lab component
  • The other six courses are all meant to teach you how to think:
  • Thinking Locally in NYC (all things NYC, all the time)
  • Thinking through Global Inquiry (more offerings than Cultures in Comparison)
  • Thinking about Social Difference (more offerings than Social Analysis)
  • Thinking with Historical Perspective
  • Thinking Quantitatively and Empirically
  • Thinking Technologically and Digitally

Like for the pre-2020 Barnardigans, does it matter when you take these? Nope. For the full list of which classes satisfy which requirement, click here.

No matter which college you’re in, it’s probably a good idea to have a rough four-year plan of when you’re going to knock out all your requirements. (Remember, you also have your major requirements to worry about!) Hopefully this will help you avoid being that person who has to overload on reqs in their fourth year.

Have some graduation requirement gripes? Tell us about it on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Snapchat @CUSpectrum.

Victoria Yang is a SEAS first-year and Spectrum staff writer. She is very good at planning out her courses well in advance and then randomly changing them during registration. Reach her at victoria.yang@columbiaspectator.com.

Quinn Lincoln posted on

My heart was filled with remorse and pain for the past 7 months when my husband ended our marriage and went to his EX lover because i was unable to give him a son. I was so devastated and almost committed suicide because of the love and affection i had for my husband. I searched and asked everyone i knew for help but all my efforts were useless not until i was refereed to Doctor Casera by Oliver who i met online that he could be of help to my marriage for he has helped her before. I got in touch with the Doctor and i poured out everything i had in mind to him and he encouraged me and promised to make me smile and make me live a better life by getting my husband back with his powers between just 24 hours. I believed in him and to my very eyes, my husband came on his knees pleading for forgiveness to come back and rectify his mistakes and today we are living with so much Joy and happiness. If anyone out there needs help of any-kind, get in touch with the Doctor now for he will help you out.. E-mail: relationshipsolutionhome@hotmail.com OR call/text: +1 (518) 460-6400 & website: http://relationshipsolutionhome.webs.com/

+1
-5
-1
Olivia Hanna posted on

GENUINE LOVE SPELL TO GET BACK YOUR EX EMAIL: ULTIMATESPELLCAST@GMAIL.COM

My name is Olivia Hanna From Australia. I am really pleased with this service Dr. Trust render to me. I am one of those people who said, “I’ll never call a psychic or a magician or whatever” to help me with my problems – least of all my love problems, but I reached the point where I knew I needed some guidance, and I’m so glad I found this man called Dr. Trust I never in a million years would have thought I’d be writing a letter like this, but when I nearly lost Andrew in one of our stupid,fights (he broke up with me), I thought I had lost everything.i cry all day and think that he will never come back to me again.i read a testimony by a man called Taylor Borg about him saying that how Dr. Trust help him to get back is EX wife within 48 hours.I quickly email him. He did a (Lover spell) for me. 48 hours later, my ((Ex Boyfriend)) came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal and our love is now stronger that he can't do without being with me. I and my boyfriend are living together happily again. Dr. Trust is the best online spell caster that is powerful and genuine. And when I was at my most desperate,he didn’t take advantage of me. You performed a very good service for a person in true need. I don’t know how you did it, or how this magic works, but all I know is, IT WORKS!! Andrew and i are happily back together, and I’ll always be grateful to Dr. Trust email him for any kinds of help is very capable and reliable for help His website: https://utimatespellcast.wordpress.com

{Ultimatespellcast@yahoo.com or Ultimatespellcast@gmail.com}

{Tel or WhatsApp: +2348156885231}

+1
0
-1
Hayden Emerson posted on

This review is written with clear conscience after reading terrible things done to some innocent people who needed help getting back their partner by some unsuspecting spell casters. It was too shameful to say this, but I was victimized twice due to my desperation when I was going through harsh closure divorce. The funny thing is that my colleague was also a victim. It took us couple of months to research for the best among the rest.
If I am being asked to rate a spell caster according to the authenticity of their work, I will give a 5-star rating to Dr. Wakina for not just his breathtaking work but for restoring the faith in humanity.
Note: this is not a cheap publicity, but a true story of my life, a woman who once lost everything to another appealing woman. I and my friend welcome back our partners via the help of Dr. Wakina.
By restoring my faith and reuniting my family I believe Dr. Wakina through his email dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com can help a lot of people out there currently going through broken heart, home and divorce.

+1
-5
-1
CassieTiffany posted on

Genuine online spell cater on urgent love spell to get your ex back, fix your broken marriage and stop divorce happylovespell2@gmail.com is the best dr to help you and restored back your happiness
I just found out about my husband cheating on me with a co-worker! We’ve been married going on two years. 2kids. lots of amazing momments together. i want to leave, but i love him so much. all i can think about is how nothing stopped him. how he has to see her everyday because they work together. we are both still young and very attractive. but i want my husband, my friend, and the father of my beautiful children. how do i get past the thought of another woman having my husband? Not my fiancé, not my boyfriend, but my husband! i still love him even though he thinks i want to leave i really want him to do better and stop me before i walk out! my husband told me that he doesn’t feel loved anymore, just because of this co-worker he has be cheating on with me that he wants a divorce, i was devastated, heart broken i begged him to listen to me that we can work it out like we always do, but he didn’t listen, he told me that he met someone that loves and understands him, i begged him to consider our kids but he’s did listen. he left and i was frustrated, i began searching for help and answers, then i heard about a man that can Cast a spell to remind him of all the things we have been through together, at first I was scared then i decided to give it a try, and like magic my husband came back, apology and begging for forgiveness, thanks to this man, I’m posting this to help people with
similar issues. You can contact him for help too. happylovespell2@gmail.com or call and add him of on whatsapp number: +2348133873774

+1
-2
-1
Olivia Hanna posted on

{Tel or WhatsApp: +2348156885231}

+1
0
-1
sarahbarbara175 posted on

URGENT EFFECTIVE LOVE-SPELL TO GET YOUR EX BOYFRIEND/GIRLFRIEND BACK FAST. Unityspelltemple@gmail.com is certainly the best spell caster online, and his result is 100% guarantee.
I am Sarah Barbara from USA, after 4 years of relationship with my boyfriend,
he broke up me and brought in another Girl, i did all i could to get him back
but all proved abortive, I was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a
website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told
me what to do and i did it then he did a (Love spell) for me.
28 hours later, my boyfriend really called me and told me that he miss me so much,
So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,
and for the pain he caused me . Then from that day,
Our relationship was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided
to share my story on the internet that Dr.Unity real and powerful spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble,
if you are here and you need your Ex back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now.
Here’s his contact: Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,
you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348071622464 ,
you can also visit hiswebsite: https://unityspelltempe.blogspot.com

+1
0
-1