Greekin' Out: Breaking down Columbia's six Panhellenic sororities

Greekin’ Out is a series designed to inform and advise all Barnumbians interested in joining Greek Life. Over the next few weeks, we’ll be producing content aimed to answer all G(r)eeky questions, but if you think we missed something, email your inquiries to veronica.taleon@columbiaspectator.com, and we’ll get on it ASAP.

If you’re not involved in or currently making a bid for Greek life, you may not know that formal Panhellenic sorority recruitment commences this coming Thursday.

That means for all PNMs (that’s potential new members, for those not yet Greeky enough), the next few days may be filled with much anxiety surrounding recruitment: What should you expect from development day, what should you wear, and how will you even be able to distinguish each sorority from the next?

Fortunately for you, we here at Spectrum are just Greeky enough (milking this pun as much we can, as you can see) to lend a helping hand.

There are six sororities that currently make up the National Panhellenic Conference (or Panhel, again for the n00bs) at Columbia, and each one is slightly different from the next: Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Omicron Pi, Delta Gamma, Gamma Phi Beta, Kappa Alpha Theta, and Sigma Delta Tau.

Amanda Frame / Design Editor

Interested in learning more about your sorority of choice? Here's what's been happening in the news:

Alpha Chi Omega

Alpha Omicron Pi

Delta Gamma

Gamma Phi Beta

Kappa Alpha Theta

Sigma Delta Tau

Any advice for those currently making a bid for Greek Life? Send it to us on Facebook, Twitter, or Snapchat @CUSpectrum.

Veronica Grace Taleon is Spectrum’s editor and a Barnard sophomore. She’s not in Greek Life, so the appropriate adjective to describe her is plain ol’ “geeky,” not “Greeky.” Nevertheless, she enjoyed researching this article. Reach her at veronica.taleon@columbiaspectator.com.

Jessica posted on

Hey guys, I'm so excited of getting my husband back after he left me and our 3 kids for another woman. After 2 years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. i felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, I was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a (Love spell) for me. 28 hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before,All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr Unity real and powerful spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your Ex back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact: Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,
you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348071622464 ,
his website:http://unityspelltemple.yolasite.com ,
Jessica, 26 years, Texas, USA .

+1
0
-1
Hayden Emerson posted on

This review is written with clear conscience after reading terrible things done to some innocent people who needed help getting back their partner by some unsuspecting spell casters. It was too shameful to say this, but I was victimized twice due to my desperation when I was going through harsh closure divorce. The funny thing is that my colleague was also a victim. It took us couple of months to research for the best among the rest.
If I am being asked to rate a spell caster according to the authenticity of their work, I will give a 5-star rating to Dr. Wakina for not just his breathtaking work but for restoring the faith in humanity.
Note: this is not a cheap publicity, but a true story of my life, a woman who once lost everything to another appealing woman. I and my friend welcome back our partners via the help of Dr. Wakina.
By restoring my faith and reuniting my family I believe Dr. Wakina through his email dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com can help a lot of people out there currently going through broken heart, home and divorce.

+1
+1
-1
Tohan Adamson posted on

VICTORIA FINANCIER HELP MY FAMILY WITH LOAN @ 2% INTEREST RATE with victoriafinancier@outlook.com

VICTORIA FINANCIER COMPANY, offers all kind of loan, ranging from $5,000 USD to $100,000,000.00USD Max. if you need a loan amount quickly write to her Email now with ( victoriafinancier@outlook.com) .
She helped me when i was so much in need of money. I lost my job. i and my kids were almost evicted from our house. I seeks assistance from all the people that i know but i could not even get drugs for my child. I also develop brain tumor as a result of stress and excess thinking. In my messed life, i look online for assistance there i found Mrs Victoria Financier Loan Lending company. I read how she always help different people from different countries. I urgently contact her, explain my situations to her same day and then i ask for any assistance that can give because i don't want my kids trow out to street; She advised me to get a loan amount with long term of 10years. I follow her advice, insure my loan amount of $18,000.00USD that i borrowed. The funds was sent into my bank account 4 days of contacting her and she also send the transfer confirmation slip to me and my bank gave me the money in full when i went to withdraw. Victoria Financier service is so amazing. I recommend Victoria Financier Lending Company to you, contact her today and be patient with to assist you because lot's of person contact her daily for assistance. She will help you urgently. Her Email is: victoriafinancier@outlook.com

*Full Name:_________

*Address:_________

*Tell:_________

*loan amount:_________

*Loan duration:_________

*Country:_________

*Purpose of loan:_________

*Monthly Income:__________

*Occupation__________

*Next of kin:_________

*Email :_________

Merry Christmas

+1
-7
-1
Jessica Butler posted on

I feel so blessed again in my marriage after Doctor Oku brought back my husband that separated with me for good 3 mounths. Am Jessica Butler by name from los angeles. Even though i have mouths all over my body, it won't be enough to thank Doctor Oku for his help upon my life. My husband separated with me for the 3 months and have been in pains and agony without him. So, i searched for help everywhere but nothing worked out not until i meant Doctor Oku who i contacted online. I explained my situation to him and he promised that my husband will get back to me within 24 to 48 hours as far that my heart still beats for him. I believed in him and he prepared a spell for me and my husband called me exactly when Doctor Oku said. He pleaded and said he needs me back and now we are living happily again for the past 9 months. Everyone out there reading my article that needs help should contact him... Email: okutemple@gmail.com or whatsApp him +2347053113465

+1
-2
-1
Kelsey Sonny posted on

It hurts when my five year old daughter ask if Daddy will be coming whenever we are celebrating on a round table. Meanwhile I was used to celebrating every holiday season alone for two years after my husband abandoned us for another woman.
But I promised during last Thanksgiving that I will give her an unforgettable gift this Christmas Holiday. I didn’t know it will be possible and at the same time I didn’t want to disappoint my Daughter. It was an impossible request presented to Dr. Wakina’s table through dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com with a time frame, I don’t want to be a lying Mommy.
Believe me when I say it was an unforgettable moment between my Husband and our Daughter when he came knocking on Christmas Eve. Something I never thought will be possible became a reality. Love Spell is real and Dr. Wakina is genuine.

+1
+1
-1
Kianna Smith posted on

Hello I am working on getting my husband back as well. I have been scammed twice due to desperation for my home husband to come home. I'm just wondering if this is real or fake?

+1
-1
-1
Jessica Butler posted on

+1
-2
-1
Jessica Butler posted on

I feel so blessed again in my marriage after Doctor Oku brought back my husband that separated with me for good 3 mounths. Am Jessica Butler by name from los angeles. Even though i have mouths all over my body, it won't be enough to thank Doctor Oku for his help upon my life. My husband separated with me for the 3 months and have been in pains and agony without him. So, i searched for help everywhere but nothing worked out not until i meant Doctor Oku who i contacted online. I explained my situation to him and he promised that my husband will get back to me within 24 to 48 hours as far that my heart still beats for him. I believed in him and he prepared a spell for me and my husband called me exactly when Doctor Oku said. He pleaded and said he needs me back and now we are living happily again for the past 9 months. Everyone out there reading my article that needs help should contact him... Email: okutemple@gmail.com or call him +2347053113465

+1
-2
-1
THERESA WILLIAMS posted on

Hello, I am Theresa Williams After being in relationship with Anderson for years, he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to my friend and she suggested that I should rather contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that never believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I mailed the spell caster, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4 pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem. email: {drogunduspellcaster@gmail.com} you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or any other Case.

1) Love Spells
2) Lost Love Spells
3) Divorce Spells
4) Marriage Spells
5) Binding Spell.
6) Breakup Spells
7) Banish a past Lover
8.) You want to be promoted in your office/ Lottery spell
9) want to satisfy your lover
Contact this great man if you are having any problem for a lasting solution
through {drogunduspellcaster@gmail.com}

+1
-3
-1
Devon Robin posted on

This is not just the ordinary reviews about spell casters that floods the web everyday, mine is written out of a personal experience & observation. I count it a privilege to judiciously use this life time opportunity given to me by a genius (Dr. Wakina) that possess a high level of spiritual potential to make infeasible feasible.
Idk if it is right to call him an angel because he is exceptional in incomparable for making life, finance, breakup and divorce easier to resolve with a perfect and lasting solution.
After the experience & observation I obtained within 7 years my Husband left me, I decided to settle comfortable with the benefit of appreciating Dr. Wakina for doing what 11 persons cannot do. The difference was clear from the moment I sent “can you help me get back my husband?” to his email: (dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com).
I am happy for not being the depressed & lost woman I used to be before I met a great healer. Words cannot express my appreciation to Dr. Wakina Love Temple.

+1
-1
-1