Wake Up Call: There will soon be a new restaurant to fill Ollie’s! (1/26)

*/

Do we have an empathy problem at Columbia?
Today's forecast: High of 52° with a 50% chance of rain in the early afternoon

View this email in your browser

Jaime Danies / Staff Photographer
Your 1/26 Wake Up Call

It's the first day of sorority recruitment!

Today's top stories

No core grading distribution: Calling all people currently taking a Core class. Did you know that your instructors don’t have to adhere to a standardized set of assignments, exams, or papers? What does this mean for you?

Filling the void of Ollie’s: It was a travesty when Ollie’s closed in 2015, but cry no more—Shake Shack will be filling its place in late 2017.

Our empathy problem: These past two weeks have been hard—three students have passed away, and some are beginning to wonder if we have an empathy problem. In this op-ed, a writer argues that in order for campus to start experiencing a change, we need to engage in radical kindness toward each other.

Greekin’ Out: Today’s the first day of rush week—are you ready for Philanthropy Day? If so, get even further ahead of the pack and read up on what you should expect from Preference and Bid Night, you g(r)eek.

Faith, trust, and pixie dust: Ever think that you’ll meet your soulmate at Columbia? Laugh all you want, but in this edition of Love, Actualized, Clara Lindh, CC ’18, advises that we need to remain open to the possibility of it actually happening.

Dartmouth/Harvard’s coming to town: We have a few home b-ball games this weekend—both the men’s and women’s teams will host Dartmouth and Harvard. After losing at home against Cornell last week, can we bounce back?

Eat, sleep, activism: Should activists be doing more to protest Trump’s legislation? In his first installment of Urban Bushwacking, Ben Swanson, CC ’18, claims that activism should no longer be an extracurricular—to generate real change, activism needs to be a lifestyle.

Reaching new heights: Men’s basketball landed the highest-rated recruit in school history. Take a look at 6-foot-10 Jaron Faulds’ commitment to the Light Blue and his dominance in the Michigan high school ranks.

A year later: Barnard’s Presidential Task Force on Diversity and Inclusion has finally released its draft of recommendations of how the college can address campus diversity and inclusion.

An airball crisis: Women’s basketball is the worst in the Ivy League at shooting three-pointers, but for the basketball faithful, have no fear—there’s still hope for our inside shots.

Pro tip of the day

Spec slays: We take on some pretty big stories here at Spec—stories which have affected change at Columbia. If you needed any more convincing to join our squad, here’s some of our biggest pieces from 2k16.

Spectator Spring Recruitment

Here at Spec, our team is made of students from all of Columbia’s undergraduate schools: reporters, software developers, photographers, designers, social media experts, data analysts, and more. Find your place at one of our open houses.

Saturday, Jan. 28, 3.00 p.m.: Journalism Open House
Saturday, Jan. 28, 4:30 p.m.: Business and Innovations Open House

Sunday, Jan. 29, 3:00 p.m.: SpecTech Open House
Sunday, Jan. 29, 4:30 p.m.: Visuals Open House

Events and opportunities

Party: Back-to-School Winter Gala
10 p.m.-1 a.m. in Roone Arledge Auditorium

Workshop: TestMasters LSAT Logical Reasoning Workshop
7-8p.m. in Lerner 569

Audition: The Whole World is Watching (one acts)
8 p.m. in Lerner Hall

Screening: Film Thursday: A Girl in the River
6:30-9 p.m. in the Stabile Student Center at the Journalism School

Snapchat of the day

It’s cool, I’m sitting in the back because I’m not cool enough to know what duel links is. :(

Get in the Wake Up Call

• Tag us on Instagram @CUspectrum to submit your Instas for header images.
  • Message us on Facebook with links to your events or opportunities.
  • Snapchat us @CUspectrum for Snapchats of the day.
Subscribe to the Wake Up Call to get it in your inbox at 8 a.m. instead of on Facebook at 10 a.m.