Columbia Dining is aiming to reopen JJ’s in March. In the meantime, here are other ways to get your JJ’s fix

JJ’s is reopening! But not until March or possibly later.

Due to infrastructure problems, JJ’s has temporarily closed its doors to the midnight snack lovers of Columbia. In the meantime, John Jay has taken in these hungry JJ’s refugees and will continue doing so until JJ’s gets fixed. The JJ’s menu will be served in John Jay Dining Hall from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. and from 9:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. daily. That means you can continue to comfort yourself with the grease, carbs, and staff (yes, they’ve moved to John Jay, too) that make JJ’s so great.

You can also use the next two months to try other MoHi dining options. Tom’s Restaurant and Mel’s Burger Bar both have the American fried food we know and (hate to) love. Koronet Pizza’s huge slices make it the perfect spot for the overzealous late-night eater. Of course, Insomnia Cookies will always be a popular choice for midnight desserts.

No matter how distressed you feel about JJ’s temporary closing, this is definitely a time to reflect on how lucky we are to be living in New York City. There will *always* be a way to get fries.

Read the full email below:

Dear Dining Plan Holders,

Thanks for your patience this week as we’ve dealt with an unexpected infrastructure issue in JJ’s Place.

Here’s the good news: JJ’s Place will return.

Here’s the difficult news: We have some work to do before it re-opens.

What happened: A pipe collapsed underneath JJ’s Place late Sunday/early Monday morning (1/22-1/23) due to old age. The pipe was part of a network of century-old piping beneath John Jay Hall and JJ’s Place that was scheduled to be replaced this summer. Given present conditions, the full pipe replacement project has commenced immediately. Crews are working extended shifts to expose the underground piping, complete the pipe replacement and return JJ’s Place to service as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, JJ’s Place will be closed for the length of the project. No other services within John Jay Hall should be impacted.

So when will JJ’s reopen?: The team is ambitiously aiming to complete the project by the conclusion of spring recess in March. We’ll keep you posted as the project progresses and we’re already planning our reopening party!

Until then: John Jay will continue its expanded schedule, with continuous operations from 9:30 a.m. – 1:00 a.m. The JJ’s menu is served from 2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. – 1:00 a.m. with all your favorites. Don’t worry, the JJ’s staff is all there too.

Questions? Suggestions? We heard you like having a late night salad bar option and miss the quesadillas (look for them soon!). What other things are working, or what do you want to see? Let us know if you have any feedback during this transitional period.

We understand this may be disappointing news. Please know the crews are working hard and we look forward to being back in business soon. Until then #JJsFam, see you in John Jay or Ferris Booth Commons.

Missing JJ’s? Spectrum’s here for support on Facebook, Twitter, or Snapchat @CUSpectrum.

Isabella Monaco is Spectrum’s associate editor and a first-year at Barnard. She doesn’t like JJ’s, but has yet to admit it out of fear of mockery. Reach her at isabella.monaco@columbiaspectator.com.