Wake Up Call: How have CU administrators responded to Trump’s immigration ban? (1/30)

Is summer school the best choice for you?
Today's forecast: Partially cloudy with a high of 38°

View this email in your browser

@mjorisch / via Instagram
Your 1/30 Wake Up Call

Be sure to fill out the Spectator app today.

Today's top stories

I want you to stay: You’ve heard about Trump’s immigration policy by now. What is the University saying? Associate Provost David Austell sent a letter to students from nations on President Trump’s immigration ban advising them not to leave the country.

Summertime sadness: CU’s beginning to promote its summer school program (there’s an info sesh on Feb. 1 for anyone who’s interested), but is staying in NY over the summer really worth it?

Nussbaum and who? You know the bagel shop and the dorm—we call it “Nussbaum,” too often dropping “Wu.” But who was Wu, and why do we continue to pick and choose what we do and don’t remember?

Open the Gates! In case you missed it, we had some pretty high-profile peeps on campus last Friday: Bill Gates and Warren Buffett. Couldn’t sit through the hourlong video? Here’s what they said.

Showdown for the ages: Men’s squash continued to dominate, earning two 8-1 wins over Cornell and Williams. Now CU and Harvard are neck-and-neck in both the Ivy League standings and the national rankings. 

And now we’re stressed out: What are you doing to have some fun amid our notorious stress culture? This op-ed discusses our stress at CU and suggests that students and administrators need to work together to integrate the idea of fun on our campus.

Too soon to talk about spring break? Hopefully not, because it’s the third week of classes and we’re tired. Start planning for spring break with the most basic steps—answering whether you should stay here, go home, or travel.

Where is the love: “Be nice to strangers,” your parents preached, but how regularly do we practice kindness on the day-to-day? Columnist Jarett Poliner describes his experience meeting and helping a homeless woman.

Just two away: Women’s basketball won 91-88 over Dartmouth in the longest game in program history. The presumably exhausted Lions squad then played Harvard and ended up taking an L 70-68.

Pro tip of the day

Deets on declaring: Sophomores! Your major declaration deadline is coming up in early March. Barnard folk, have you found your new adviser and academic soulmate yet? If not, here’s where you can get started.

Events and opportunities

Screening: Indignation Screening w/ James Schamus Q&A
7 - 9:45 p.m. in 617 Kent Hall

Screening: Abortion: Stories Women Tell - Film Screening and Discussion
5:30 - 7:30 p.m. in Jerome Greene Hall 103

Rally: Columbia University Rally Against Anti-Muslim Racism
5-6 p.m. on Low Steps

Snapchat of the day

Looks like @sadcolumbiaboys has competition. (Btw, this was a video where the wind rustled the corners of the paper. I can attest, it looked v. sad.)

Get in the Wake Up Call

• Tag us on Instagram @CUspectrum to submit your Instas for header images.
  • Message us on Facebook with links to your events or opportunities.
  • Snapchat us @CUspectrum for Snapchats of the day.
Don't miss a moment of daily news. Subscribe to the Wake Up Call.