Career chasing: The lowdown on LionSHARE

You’re trying to find an internship for this summer, but Google and internships.com aren’t really helping you narrow down your search. If you can’t find the perfect job, then head over to LionSHARE, a Columbia-specific database for jobs and internships run by the Center for Career Education. Columbians (and even alums!) have access to LionSHARE, while Barnumbians have NACElink, otherwise known as Millie Careers.

Navigating LionSHARE can be a bit daunting if you’ve never used it before, When you first log in, it should look something like this:

bdIYik9.png

In the center are jobs and internships that are accepting applications. Currently, all the ones being suggested to me are generalized results for Columbia students. But, if you click on the ‘Personalize Handshake’ tab, you can fill out some information so that the open applications shown on the main dashboard are more applicable to you. The personalization questions ask about what type of employment you’re looking for, what your career interests are, and what fields you’re interested in.

On the right of the main page are upcoming on-campus events organized by Columbia or CCE. They are all career-oriented, whether they are helping you get an internship, visit a site, or decide what you want to major in.

ZTZYypp.png

Clicking on ‘Jobs & Internships’ in the left sidebar will take you to a portal where you can search for jobs. Filtering out for jobs is super easy—you can filter by pay, location, type, industry. You can even specify that you’re searching for jobs on campus or as work-study. Then, you can save the filters you use for a quicker search next time.

VL3sSuo.jpg

If a job interests you, you can click on the listing to learn more. The text in the center lists more information and specifics. On the right, you can see if you meet all the basic employer preferences (you can also filter the search to only include jobs for which you meet all the requirements).

Once you find a job you like, you can add it to your favorites by clicking the self-explanatory ‘Favorite Job’ button, or apply immediately through LionSHARE. You can keep résumés and cover letters stored on the site (up to 99 different ones) for easy access.

Employers may also ask you to submit supplemental questions and information through LionSHARE, so make sure to check daily for any leftover application materials. Also, make sure your profile is up-to-date with your bio, work experience, extracurriculars, and courses, so employers have all the information they need to make a decision.

The site also has some other helpful aspects. For example, if the job holds an on-campus interview, you can sign up for a slot under the Jobs & Internships tab where it says ‘On-campus interviews.’ Under the Resources tab you can read articles like ‘Resume Writing Basics’ or ‘Interviewing 101.’

Apart from LionSHARE, CCE also has a lot of in-person resources. Visit them at East Campus through Wien Courtyard.

Have a better way to snag an internship? Tell us about it on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Snapchat @CUSpectrum.

Victoria Yang is a SEAS first-year and Spectrum staff writer. If she can figure out LionSHARE, so can you. Reach her at victoria.yang@columbiaspectator.com.

All pictures taken from LionSHARE website.

Great article! It really helped me to find an internship. The truth I long could not make the resume until I used help of http://coursework4u.co.uk

+1
0
-1