Resources, support, and information for those affected by Trump's immigration ban

By now, you’ve certainly heard about Trump’s recent immigration reform. But what can you do if you are affected by this new policy?

Many administrators, including PrezBo himself, have advised students from the seven predominantly Muslim states included in Trump’s immigration ban against travelling internationally, which would put them at risk of being denied reentry into the U.S.

This is a tumultuous time to be an immigrant in America, but fortunately you are in a city that will not abandon you. Here on campus, in MoHi, and in greater NYC, there are plenty of resources, support organizations, and sources of information that you can consult if you—or people you know—could be affected by the immigration ban.

Campus Barnard Town Hall

DSpar announced in an email sent to all Barnardigans that Provost Linda Bell and Dean Avis Hinkson would be arranging a town hall soon to provide information and discuss how Trump’s ban will affect immigrants and other students at the college. Whether you’re directly affected or not, you might want to go hear and learn more.

The Town Hall will take place on Wed., Feb. 1 from 7-8:30 p.m. in the Diana Event Oval, and featured panelists will include Professor Nadia El-Haj (Anthropology), Professor J.C. Salyer (Anthropology and Human Rights), Wendy Garay (Associate Dean of International and Intercultural Student Programs), and Mayowa Obasaju (Furman Counseling Center Staff Psychologist).

Columbia’s International Students and Scholars Office

ISSO describes itself as “the international community’s resource for immigration-related needs.” If you have a question about anything related to the immigration ban—especially travel and visa questions—definitely go and talk to the office’s counselors. They have both telephone assistance and walk-in advising hours (from 1 to 4 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday for telephone assistance and from 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. the same days for walk-ins). They’re located on 524 Riverside Drive.

Columbia and Barnard counseling services

If what you need right now is emotional support, Barnard and Columbia both have counseling services. You can either make individual appointments (here for Barnard, here for Columbia), go to drop-in listening hours (Monday from 7 to 9:30 p.m. in Plimpton and Thursday from 7 to 9:30 p.m. in Elliott for Barnard; multiple buildings across campus for Columbia), or try out one of Columbia’s many student support groups (there’s a specific group for international grad students, for example).

City Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs

There are a handful of civic services that are available to all New Yorkers, including immigrants. Here are just a few of them.

• Public safety: “Anyone who has been the victim of a hate crime, or is not sure, should contact the NYPD. To contact the NYPD Hate Crimes Task Force directly, call (646) 610-5267.”

• Protection from discrimination: “New Yorkers also have the right to be free from unlawful discrimination, retaliation, and harassment in the workplace, housing, and public places. To file a complaint or learn more, call 311 or call the NYC Commission on Human Rights at (718) 722-3131.”

ActionNYC

ActionNYC is a civic program for immigrant New Yorkers, which offers free, high-quality, and reliable legal help in your language of preference. To make an appointment with an attorney, call the hotline at 1-800-354-0365 Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Bookmark this page and keep checking back—we’ll update things as we hear of more resources available to the public.

Know of any resources either on campus or in the city that we missed? Tell us about them on Facebook, Twitter, or Snapchat @CUSpectrum.

Updated Tues., Jan. 31 at 1:05 p.m.