Ace that exam: Dates and deadlines for the MCAT, LSAT, and GRE

We know there are plenty of you at Columbia who are (thinking about) applying to med, law, or grad school. But do you know how (and more importantly, when) to register for your respective exam? (Or, exams plural, for all you overachievers.) Luckily, we’ve come up with a handy dandy chart to help you keep track of all your deadlines.

Dates provided are the latest possible deadlines—you’ll save money on registration fees if you register further in advance. (It costs $310 if you register up to four weeks in advance, and $365 if you wait until one to two weeks in advance). Get going and register at your closest test center.

The LSAT is administered four times a year at designated test centers throughout the country. (The location closest to Columbia is right uptown at City College on 138th.) Deadlines for the February test date have passed and all but one test date (in June) have not been listed yet. Keep checking the Law School Admission Council’s website to stay up-to-date on all your law-related goings-on.

GRE

This one’s a bit trickier. The GRE General Test is offered nearly every day for the next several months, and there are still seats available for most testing dates in March and April. Look for available dates and your closest test center here. (Take a look at testing centers near CU here—there are several in Manhattan, the closest being at 34th Street). You can take the exam on the computer every 21 days (up to five times in a 12-month period), or the paper test as often as it is offered. 

Subject tests, like chemistry or biology, are offered more rarely, but you can use the same site to find a suitable date and testing center. Register as far in advance as possible: seats at popular locations go fast. Make sure to pick a date well in advance of your application deadlines so that your scores will be delivered in time. 

A little advanced planning makes entrance exams seem not so bad after all. And if it’s not quite time for you to take a dreaded exam, check out these other resources for law or med school planning—gotta be prepared when the time does come. 

Have any other entrance exam tips? Let us know on Facebook, Twitter, or Snapchat, @CUSpectrum. 

Ishya Verma is a Spectrum staff writer. As a first-year, she’s very happy she doesn’t have to deal with entrance exams yet. Reach her at ishya.verma@columbiaspectator.com.