Wake Up Call: How are international students responding to the dorm name tag incidents? (2/3)

*/

Are you a performing arts major? There are some scary things you need to know about your department.
Today's forecast: Cloudy with a high of 32°

View this email in your browser

@hayjaie / via Instagram
Your 2/3 Wake Up Call

Introducing a new international office to Kent Hall.

Setting up fort in Kent: Following Trump’s immigration ban, the International Students and Scholars Office is expanding its hours and will set up a completely new office in Kent. (BTW, for those who are affected by this policy, do you know what resources are available to you?)

A long time (30 years) coming: Cornell’s wrestling team is pretty good (it’s ranked No. 9), and we have to face them this weekend. (Note: We haven’t beaten them in the past 30 years.) However, momentum is on our side with a recent string of strong results.

Don’t-miss dates: We have plenty of pre-med, pre-law, and other kinds of preprofessional peeps here at CU. If you’re a junior, a really behind senior, or an overachieving sophomore, do you know when your respective test dates are?

Squashing the competition: Our men’s squash team is ranked No. 3 in the nation, but if we want to move up into No. 1, we’ll have to defeat Harvard and Dartmouth this weekend.

Hidden names, hidden figures: The administration’s been investigating an incident where dorm name tags belonging to students of East Asian descent were stolen. What are international students saying about it? Sarah Lu reflects on how this may be indicative of a greater racism issue on campus.

More than a name: In another piece about the dorm name tag incident, this op-ed focuses on the history behind names and how they are important in helping us remember our heritage.

Getting comfortable at Columbia: Some international students feel like they’re the “other” at CU, but for Karim Nader, this op-ed writer who identifies as both queer and Arab, things are not much better (and are often worse) back home. How can we fight to feel comfortable in places which we occupy?

Pro tip of the day

Always a good time to talk jobs: Overachievers, it seems like you all are always on the job hunt. We’ll entertain it. Earlier in the week, we told you everything you need to know about LionSHARE. Today, read up on Barnard’s equivalent.

Events and opportunities

Discussion: Aquí y Allá: Mexicans Resilient Across Borders
7-9 p.m. in 504 Diana

Club: Women in Computer Science: Welcome Back!
2-4 p.m. in the Computer Science Lounge (Mudd 4F)

Discussion: BarnardTALKS: Students, Faculty & Staff of Color Meet Up
12-1 p.m. in Sulzberger Parlor (Third Floor Barnard Hall)

Discussion: Public Lecture & Stargazing: Earth in Human Hands
7-7:45 p.m. for lecture, 7:45-9 p.m. for stargazing in Pupin Hall

Volunteering: Soup Kitchen with GSSC
10 a.m.-2 p.m. at Broadway Presbyterian Church (114th and Broadway)
Sign up beforehand here.

Relaxing: Guac & Smoothie Challenge (West Campus Life Hacks Series)
9 p.m. in Schapiro Hall

Volunteering: Black History Month Fashion Show: Model Auditions Part 2
5:30-7 p.m. in 223 Milbank

Snapchat of the day

Why, oh why would you do such a thing?? Thursday’s the new Friday, so it’s already the weekend.

Get in the Wake Up Call

• Tag us on Instagram @CUspectrum to submit your Instas for header images.
  • Message us on Facebook with links to your events or opportunities.
  • Snapchat us @CUspectrum for Snapchats of the day.
Subscribe to the Wake Up Call to get it in your inbox at 8 a.m. instead of on Facebook at 10 a.m.